Dealt with this Saturday (NFHS)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
I honestly don’t know the rule. Opposing team player hits a double. On the lineup card she is number 19. She was wearing the number 9. I call time and confer with the umpire. He went and asked the coach and player her name. Said he verified that it was the correct player and just wrong number, no penalty. Is that correct?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
In my experience, yes. If it's the correct batter and just a wrong number written on the card, I've never seen any sort of penalty for that in tournament ball. Easy to see the mistake.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
NFHS rulebook states player shall bat in the order her name appears on the lineup card (7.1.1) Infraction (in this case a wrong number) is corrected and team warning is given to HC, subsequent changes that need to be made result in HC being restricted to the dugout/bench(3.1.3 Penalty)

Feb 12, 2014
This is by far the dumbest rule in the NFHS rulebook. But, it is the name that matters not the number. I have no idea as the opposing Coach what the names of the kids on the other team are but I know when they have a number wrong for sure!

Jun 22, 2008
It's not just nfhs, every ruleset I am familiar with it is the name not number

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi