DD Update for those following:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
For those following my DD, here is the latest. After the Queen Of Diamonds North Showcase, DD was contacted by several colleges that were interested in having her play for them. We had already had the discussion as to what she wanted in a college experience as well as an education and major. She has decided on becoming a Pediatric Nurse and in that vein, we steered her towards the smaller D2 and better D3 colleges that were interested.

This past weekend, DW and DD visited one of those colleges...one of the D3's that has one of the top nursing programs in the country, 96% first time passing the nursing boards success rate, and one of her top choices. She participated in an invitation only game day and did extremely well considering that she has been injured for the last 3 weeks with sciatica due to being hit in the lower back with a bat by accident and unable to practice. She went 5 for 9 during 3 games with 3 Ks, a hard line out to SS, a single, a double and 3 HRs. Defensively, she played 3rd to start the games and made several good plays for outs but she really shined in her primary position of catcher by throwing out 3 of the fastest girls at the games.

Immediately following the games, the coaches introduced DW and DD to the head of their Nursing program and allowed them both to ask questions for about an hour and a half. Afterwards, DD spent the night with a college player from the team and had a blast with the her and the other teammates. That night, the coach texted DW and DD and set up an appointment with the head of the nursing program again the following morning. They met with her once again and she proceeded to explain about the program in detail and personally showed them around the campus, the classrooms and introduced them to a couple of the instructors of the program.

As they were walking out, the HC and AC were waiting for them and asked to speak with them in an adjoining room. They asked what other schools DD was thinking of looking at which she told them and then asked if DD could not only see herself attending this college but living there also. Then they told her they were very interested in having her play for them and that they would be in touch her very soon and not to have too much fun at the other college visits she has planned for the next several weekends.

After the visit, DD was on cloud nine. This has now become her new #1 since visiting the beautiful campus and, obviously, being a top notch program in her wanted field of study, this would be a definite bonus. It sounds as if they really want her but quite honestly, after room and board, I'm not so sure we'd be able to afford it. We're talking a $50K a year school. I know that if they truly want her they will make it so we could manage it but still...

This coming weekend, we'll be visiting another D3 in the next state over which has shown immense interest also. The following weekend is the other D2. I guess we'll see where this all leads in the end.

A couple of other things. As some of you know, DD was selected to the Team USA World Cup Team. I have just found out that the other countries teams are in fact their Olympic teams that they will be competing against. Also, since then, DD now has aspirations of trying out for our Olympic team. She's worried that if she plays for a D3 program, she may be overlooked. I have no idea about that but I guess it's a possibility. I told her become the HR leader in any division and they won't overlook her at all;) Just keeping you updated on the journey.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
That is so awesome that the coaches are supportive of her majoring in nursing. When I was asked to play for a D3 softball program many moons ago, the head coach told me to seriously consider changing my major (nursing). She told me I would be fine my freshman year, but once I got to sophomore year when clinicals started for the nursing program, it would be very difficult to manage with their practice / game schedule. It was such a difficult decision for me to make - but I decided not to play. To this day, I still look back and wish that I at least tried to work it out, but it was hard when the coach and my parents weren't supportive. It sounds like this coach is, as well as you are, and that will make a huge difference!!! Good luck with everything. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For those following my DD, here is the latest. After the Queen Of Diamonds North Showcase, DD was contacted by several colleges that were interested in having her play for them. We had already had the discussion as to what she wanted in a college experience as well as an education and major. She has decided on becoming a Pediatric Nurse and in that vein, we steered her towards the smaller D2 and better D3 colleges that were interested.

This past weekend, DW and DD visited one of those colleges...one of the D3's that has one of the top nursing programs in the country, 96% first time passing the nursing boards success rate, and one of her top choices. She participated in an invitation only game day and did extremely well considering that she has been injured for the last 3 weeks with sciatica due to being hit in the lower back with a bat by accident and unable to practice. She went 5 for 9 during 3 games with 3 Ks, a hard line out to SS, a single, a double and 3 HRs. Defensively, she played 3rd to start the games and made several good plays for outs but she really shined in her primary position of catcher by throwing out 3 of the fastest girls at the games.

Immediately following the games, the coaches introduced DW and DD to the head of their Nursing program and allowed them both to ask questions for about an hour and a half. Afterwards, DD spent the night with a college player from the team and had a blast with the her and the other teammates. That night, the coach texted DW and DD and set up an appointment with the head of the nursing program again the following morning. They met with her once again and she proceeded to explain about the program in detail and personally showed them around the campus, the classrooms and introduced them to a couple of the instructors of the program.

As they were walking out, the HC and AC were waiting for them and asked to speak with them in an adjoining room. They asked what other schools DD was thinking of looking at which she told them and then asked if DD could not only see herself attending this college but living there also. Then they told her they were very interested in having her play for them and that they would be in touch her very soon and not to have too much fun at the other college visits she has planned for the next several weekends.

After the visit, DD was on cloud nine. This has now become her new #1 since visiting the beautiful campus and, obviously, being a top notch program in her wanted field of study, this would be a definite bonus. It sounds as if they really want her but quite honestly, after room and board, I'm not so sure we'd be able to afford it. We're talking a $50K a year school. I know that if they truly want her they will make it so we could manage it but still...

This coming weekend, we'll be visiting another D3 in the next state over which has shown immense interest also. The following weekend is the other D2. I guess we'll see where this all leads in the end.

A couple of other things. As some of you know, DD was selected to the Team USA World Cup Team. I have just found out that the other countries teams are in fact their Olympic teams that they will be competing against. Also, since then, DD now has aspirations of trying out for our Olympic team. She's worried that if she plays for a D3 program, she may be overlooked. I have no idea about that but I guess it's a possibility. I told her become the HR leader in any division and they won't overlook her at all;) Just keeping you updated on the journey.

Yo, kudos to your DD! You need to calculate your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) to see if you will be eligible for finanacial aid, which may be provided in the form of grants, merit scholarships, loans, and/or work study. FinAid | Calculators | Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and Financial Aid and https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/fftoc01g.htm

D3 thoughts - If my DD's career objective had been nursing, this is the direction I would've steered her in (it wasn't but I still steered her in this direction anyway and we're all happy that this is the direction she took!) Although all schools will be working with the same EFC number, the size of their offered financial aid packages can vary significantly. Unfortunately, a D3 school may not be able to make "it" happen no matter how much the coaches want her. That said, don't ever rule out a school because of the price tag - apply and see what they can offer for a financial aid package. And note that schools sometimes can increase the value of the package if you contact them and explain you want to go there but School B's offer makes more sense financially. Early Decision is an option, but can be tricky if enrollment ultimately will come down to finances, as the financial aid awards typically aren't made until the regular admissions period.

D2 thoughts - athletic scholarships are in play so, like D1, if they want really want her, the coach's real interest will be reflected by the amount of the scholarship offer. But then, you're ability to attend the school is dependent upon continuing to play softball (and playing well), which can put a kid in a position where they may have to alter their academic plans.

Sounds like your DD will have some decisions to make. It's flattering to feel wanted, but don't loose sight of her ultimate priorities and goals.

Good luck!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Several things to think about:

Some of the more expensive colleges do come up with money. DS is going to a private D-3 engineering school in Milwaukee. He was also accepted to UW Milwaukee.

In essence, UW Milwaukee offered nothing for financial aid. His college offered some, but is still more expensive than UW Milwaukee. However, he is now attending a school with a 96% placement rate for graduates, a much smaller setting, and he can be a part of the rowing team. For HIM, that is a combination that makes the extra money worthwhile. For other kids, going to UW Milwaukee would be a better bet. Some folks in our town will go to a community college for 2 years then transfer to UW Madison, the flagship school. For example, one girl DD 1 used to play softball with pitches for a local community college.

Every kid is different. It can be a touch choice, and you can never be 100% sure you made the right choice. The flip side of the good school is what happens to the kids who run up big student loans and don't graduate? You need to be pretty sure your DD can handle the workload.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
That is so awesome that the coaches are supportive of her majoring in nursing. When I was asked to play for a D3 softball program many moons ago, the head coach told me to seriously consider changing my major (nursing). She told me I would be fine my freshman year, but once I got to sophomore year when clinicals started for the nursing program, it would be very difficult to manage with their practice / game schedule. It was such a difficult decision for me to make - but I decided not to play. To this day, I still look back and wish that I at least tried to work it out, but it was hard when the coach and my parents weren't supportive. It sounds like this coach is, as well as you are, and that will make a huge difference!!! Good luck with everything. :)

Thank you. As it turns out, the nursing program and the softball team work hand in hand with each other. Once they each have everything scheduled (the SB practices and the nursing clinicals) they trade schedules and horse trade so that nobody misses anything vital. This year, the SB team does nothing on Tuesdays due to nursing and nothing important happens in the nursing program on the weekends or after 4 p.m. during the week except Tuesdays. It helps that the directors DD is also going into nursing and a SB player being recruited in the same recruiting class as my DD.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yo, kudos to your DD! You need to calculate your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) to see if you will be eligible for finanacial aid, which may be provided in the form of grants, merit scholarships, loans, and/or work study. FinAid | Calculators | Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and Financial Aid and https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/fftoc01g.htm

D3 thoughts - If my DD's career objective had been nursing, this is the direction I would've steered her in (it wasn't but I still steered her in this direction anyway and we're all happy that this is the direction she took!) Although all schools will be working with the same EFC number, the size of their offered financial aid packages can vary significantly. Unfortunately, a D3 school may not be able to make "it" happen no matter how much the coaches want her. That said, don't ever rule out a school because of the price tag - apply and see what they can offer for a financial aid package. And note that schools sometimes can increase the value of the package if you contact them and explain you want to go there but School B's offer makes more sense financially. Early Decision is an option, but can be tricky if enrollment ultimately will come down to finances, as the financial aid awards typically aren't made until the regular admissions period.

D2 thoughts - athletic scholarships are in play so, like D1, if they want really want her, the coach's real interest will be reflected by the amount of the scholarship offer. But then, you're ability to attend the school is dependent upon continuing to play softball (and playing well), which can put a kid in a position where they may have to alter their academic plans.

Sounds like your DD will have some decisions to make. It's flattering to feel wanted, but don't loose sight of her ultimate priorities and goals.

Good luck!

Thank you for the great advice GM and BIM. After considerable research, it seems as if 99% of the student body is on some type of financial aid. The median price of what these students and their families are paying is just shy of $25K a year. Student-Athletes are paying less due to more institutional aid. As far as picking a school based on the price tag, 50 is just not do-able for us. That said, 25 is definitely okay...well, maybe not okay but we could swing it. If it's still DD's top choice by the end of all of this, then we'll pull the trigger regardless. Coming out of her college experience after 4 years earning her RN and playing a game she loves for a school she loves is priceless in my estimation.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Thank you. As it turns out, the nursing program and the softball team work hand in hand with each other. Once they each have everything scheduled (the SB practices and the nursing clinicals) they trade schedules and horse trade so that nobody misses anything vital. This year, the SB team does nothing on Tuesdays due to nursing and nothing important happens in the nursing program on the weekends or after 4 p.m. during the week except Tuesdays. It helps that the directors DD is also going into nursing and a SB player being recruited in the same recruiting class as my DD.

That is really fantastic! The great part about D-3 sports is the way the sports and academics work together. (not meaning to criticize the ladies in other divisions and clubs).

May 27, 2013

Oh, that is so great to hear! So happy for your dd to be able to major in her chosen field and continue to play the game she loves! I still look back and say to myself at times.....what if....

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414