Correct call or not

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2010
Okay, here is a situation that came up in a District Game the other day: Batter has two strikes on her. The Pitcher throws the ball, the batter swings and misses. However, the ball hits her on the inner shoulder as she swings and goes to the backstop (still in the box) and she runs to first thinking drop third strike, run to first. First base is NOT occupied, and the batter is called out. Was this the correct call, or was it a dead ball? Just a curious question.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Correct call would be...

Strike (because the batter swung and missed).

Dead ball (anytime a pitch touches the batter the ball is immediately dead).

The batter is out (since this was strike three).

Where the ball went after hitting the batter, whether or not first base was occupied, if the batter ran or not or if the defense threw the ball to first base is all moot. Before all that happened, the ball was already dead and the batter was already out!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
If the batter is hit by the pitch while swinging, it is a dead ball strike. If it is strike 3, the batter is out.

Aug 10, 2010
Thanks. That was what I was thinking.. What about if the batter swings and the ball hits her hand and goes into fair territory with say two strikes on the batter? I am thinking dead ball as it hit her then I would not be sure..Out??

Jun 22, 2008
Again, if the batter is hit by the pitch while swinging, it is a dead ball strike. Including the hands, hands are not part of the bat. If the batter already has 2 strikes, they are out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks. That was what I was thinking.. What about if the batter swings and the ball hits her hand and goes into fair territory with say two strikes on the batter? I am thinking dead ball as it hit her then I would not be sure..Out??

Is the shoulder part of the batter? Are the hands part of the batter?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00