Continuing to second on a walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
You can technically run around all the bases on a walk regardless of what the pitcher does or doesn't do. Again a walk is the same as a hit. Don't overcomplicate it.

I'm just trying to understand the rules. I didn't know you can keep running on a hit after the pitcher has the ball in the circle, I thought you have to stop at the next base. I coach rec, so things like this don't come up very often.

Mar 1, 2013
I'm just trying to understand the rules. I didn't know you can keep running on a hit after the pitcher has the ball in the circle, I thought you have to stop at the next base. I coach rec, so things like this don't come up very often.
There is no requirement to stop at the next base (barring a local rule that some well meaning "it's not fair" momcoach managed to get in). They are free to continue to advance. If they stop on a base, they have to stay at that base. If they stop between a base, they have to immediately continue or go back. No "cat and mouse". They only get that one "stop between the bases" while the look back rule is in effect. For example, they can stop between first and second and decide to go back to 1st but they are committed to first. Stop there but then start again toward 2nd, they are committed to advance. They can advance beyond that but cannot stop again unless it's on a base.

Clear as mud?

May 17, 2012

Even if the pitcher has the ball in the circle the runner can keep running on a hit (or walk).

One way to think about it is that once the pitcher has the ball in the circle the base runner has "one choice" available. They can either keep running forward or retreat, but they get one choice.

So technically they can "keep running forward" all the way around all the bases and score.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If there is a runner on third and the batter walks it is common to have the player who walk to continue on to 2nd base. If pitcher tries to make a play the runner on 3rd can score.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
One way to think about it is that once the pitcher has the ball in the circle the base runner has "one choice" available. They can either keep running forward or retreat, but they get one choice.

This is true unless a base runner is already stopped on a base when the pitcher gets the ball in the circle. She doesn't have the choice to leave the base (barring pitcher making a play on a runner).

May 17, 2012
So the third scenario of your "one choice", you stopped on the base. That was your "one choice" and you may not advance (or retreat).

Aug 12, 2014
Even if the pitcher has the ball in the circle the runner can keep running on a hit (or walk).

So technically they can "keep running forward" all the way around all the bases and score.

Thanks. I always heard it as "keep running forward until the next base."

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles