College Expectations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2008
Thanks CB. Until this year what I wrote wouldent have made sense to me. We understand what is relative to us. Its hard for a freshman parent or a travel ball parent to realize and understand the work load an upper class man has. Shes still trying to play ball and get ready for the job she took as a major when she signed up.

Now in saying this if your major is something that is sports related or dosent have clinicals then it probably dosent apply to your dd.

Tim

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
So what is the easiest way to identify these schools that just eat-up freshmen and dump them? Or do you have to go through the history books and compare rosters and try to cull out the ones that might have quit for other reasons?

My philosophy is this - just like in the workplace nobody owes you a job. If you slack and somebody else is going to do the job better then you should potentially be replaced.

In a local mid-D1 around here there were a bunch of juniors & seniors that were benched and probably not continued with scholarship because they openly started to drop the passion for the team & sport. I would bet that this is a reason too in other schools as these young ladies get into the school environment and get on their own and find other priorities.

While I'm sure this is a part of it, the truth is, many schools over recruit for positions and then after one year, a part of that roster is called in and told that they will not be asked back. When my dd was being recruited, we took note of the rosters of various teams she was interested in and then watched what happened each year. Typically, one or two disappeared a few years back. Recently, it seems that this trend has really exploded. I know of one school, that I won't name, that had 10 freshmen one year and three came back the next. So, seven sophomores were left scrambling for places to play. This is why I say that parents have to do their homework and have to be honest about their child's abilities. As Sluggers always says, in the end, the education is what matters most and so, if you can find a school at any level that will enable your child to get a great education first and softball second, then that is a good match.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks CB. Until this year what I wrote wouldent have made sense to me. We understand what is relative to us. Its hard for a freshman parent or a travel ball parent to realize and understand the work load an upper class man has. Shes still trying to play ball and get ready for the job she took as a major when she signed up.

Now in saying this if your major is something that is sports related or dosent have clinicals then it probably dosent apply to your dd.

Tim

Tim, so true! Nursing is very hard for softball players to cite one major. My dd has taken summer courses to keep up with those hours she has to cut while in season. She can not do so this summer. Last night she told us that she had to schedule an overload for the fall and that she will miss one afternoon workout/practice each week. She is afraid that this will open the door to other players. Still, she has to have this one class that is only offered at that time. Along with that, there is a major math class that everyone seems to bomb. That is offered this fall and so with this overload, she has to take that class. Tim, here is the funny thing, we were eating last night and she said that she just realized that she is 20 now. (Turned 20 in April) She said that she is no longer a child and has to get her priorities straight. She wants to graduate on time although I just don't see how even with this overload. Still, it is good for her to have goals like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad