Coach turning Parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
So as per a previous post we had the opposite. I however am going on the flip side this fall season. Any pointers or things that I need to be aware about??

Ive always been the coach, not sure what I am going to do.... :p:confused:

Jun 18, 2013
Buy a lot of chewing gum to help keep your mouth busy because it gets real hard to not offer your unsolicited advice sometimes.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2012
Sit far away from the dugout, have someone nearby that you trust so you can vent when needed, and always look calm, cool, and collected:)

I actually enjoy watching my dd more than I ever did coaching her.

Feb 16, 2012
I have a huge bag of sunflower seeds with me at all times. The girls love our coach but he tends to have a "c" mentality most times while trying to be an upper "b" team. There are times I join one of the other dads in the outfield. I can't go to practices without saying anything so I stay home and let DW take her. It takes a while to make the transition and I'm not sure you ever really get there.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
It might not hurt to go to the coach and let her/him know that you used to coach, and that you'll try your best to not comment, undermine, or interfere with what she/he is doing, but if she/he hears that you said something, to please not take it personally. If someone were to tell me that up front, I think I would have a different level of respect for that person.

Jun 1, 2013
Try hard not to pay attention to batting averages and on base percentages, some coaches don't decide their batting order on numbers. Make mental notes on what you are going to do differently on your team next year.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I know two guys that went through this, one is a friend, the other one slipped to the dark side. Don't be that guy.

Get a notebook or open a doc on your computer so you can get all of your "WTF is he doing, I know better......" rants written down or your head will explode. Make sure nobody can read them but you.
Outfield is your new home.
It really seems to get easier the second year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff