Certification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
We have a state based working with children check here. It's a proper police check and then you're given a card for three years that proves you can work with children. It's brilliant to have.

May 25, 2010
Requiring coaches to be certified is a great idea. However, I would be careful that the certification is meaningful. Paying $25 for a plastic card is useless if it has no substance. The criminal background check is really the only value I see at the moment with the ASA certification--if that part is even done right.

The background check of very little value in most cases, but is a terrific cash grab for the ones in the so-called security business. Bad people are going to do bad things and many of them aren't going to get caught, which is why parents have to be forever vigilant in watching over their kids. In that we can never know what's in someone's mind or who might be using a fake identity, too many parents can be easily lulled into a false sense of security.

To the OP, our league requires that 1 of the 2 coaches be ACE certified and as has been explained, it's no big deal at all. In and out in under 90 minutes and you're out 25 bucks. The league generally covers the cost if you attend selected preseason sessions, I think, but then you can do it on your own if the mood strikes you in the summertime.

Do coaches' daughters get free registration in your league?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06