catchers interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2011
When a batter is awarded first base, due to Catcher's interference, is the batter charged with an AB?

Also, the catcher, nor any defensive player for that matter, cannot commit an act of interference any more than a defensive player can score a run. This is actually called "Catcher's Obstruction". The catcher has obstructed the batter in her attempt to hit the pitch.

Interference is an infraction by an offensive player and will result in an out.

Mar 26, 2013
True, but you should cut some slack on this case since it is catcher's interference in baseball. Softball deviated when they standardized their terminology by whom committed the act (or was offended).

May 30, 2011
True, but you should cut some slack on this case since it is catcher's interference in baseball. Softball deviated when they standardized their terminology by whom committed the act (or was offended).

Yes but you know us softball types are completely anal when folks describe softball using baseball terms! ;)

I mean if I hear the talking heads on ESPN refer to "The Mound" one more time I think my ears are gonna bleed!

OK we probably do go over the top with that a bit. I think there is a feeling that we don't want to be considered "baseball-lite" or baseball's bastard stepchild. Softball has fought hard to be recognized as its own sport, worthy of the same support by schools and organizations. Kinda ironic that the two sports are having to join forces to get both back into the Olympics. I sure hope that works!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619