Broken wrist - what to expect on the road to recovery

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
Dd fell skating when she was 11 and broke wrist next to the growth plate. She healed fast enough, 6 weeks or so. She is 18 now and
says it still hurts a little when pitching, especially rise and curve. Not quit throwing hurt but more nagging.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD#1 broke her left elbow in early January and was able to play by the end of April. While she was out of commission, I gave her a lighter bat and had her practice doing one-handed dry swings with the other hand. She had her best hitting season that year.

Bleacher Bum

Avid student of the game
Aug 29, 2013
NorCal
DD#1 broke her left elbow in early January and was able to play by the end of April. While she was out of commission, I gave her a lighter bat and had her practice doing one-handed dry swings with the other hand. She had her best hitting season that year.

The bat vibration issue hadn't dawned on me until an earlier post. Hopefully our recent investment in her 1st "high end" bat will pay off (CF6 Sprite). I had been thinking she should go straight CF6 (she's really strong), but she said the lighter version felt better. Now it looks like it may pay off, as the heavier version would likely have been 'too much bat' for her to get around once she returns to play. Plus, hopefully the 2 piece composite construction helps dampen the vibrations. But now my brain is spinning, thinking about possible ways to reduce vibration if it becomes an issue (do the batting gloves with vibration reduction pads really work, or is it just a marketing gimmick?). I guess I have a few weeks to think about it.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD#1 was not a pitcher. so it was really only her hitting that had to be shelved during recuperation process. The lighter bat I "got" her was one of her smaller bats she had outgrown. possibly even Tee ball which is what I have them use when hitting off the tee with one hand.
DD#2 is a pitcher and she just broke her leg last Friday, so like you, I am trying to figure out what to do.

Bleacher Bum

Avid student of the game
Aug 29, 2013
NorCal
DD#1 was not a pitcher. so it was really only her hitting that had to be shelved during recuperation process. The lighter bat I "got" her was one of her smaller bats she had outgrown. possibly even Tee ball which is what I have them use when hitting off the tee with one hand.
DD#2 is a pitcher and she just broke her leg last Friday, so like you, I am trying to figure out what to do.

Sorry to hear about the recent break. Depending on which leg it is, and how they brace/cast it, she may be able to:
- work on upper body mechanics/drills for pitching if she can stand on the leg
- work on general overhand throwing mechanics (I've seen at least one of the drills from the "high level throwing" ebook that involve seated throws, focusing on hand and elbow positioning)
- become a "bucket catcher" for other pitchers on her team. But I suppose having a leg cast in the way may limit her ability to bail out on a wild pitch in the dirt

Good luck!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
She could always do like Billy Wagner did when he was kid and learn to throw left handed. Since Wagner went on to arguable become the greatest left handed relief pitcher in MLB history, maybe it's not bad idea.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks, BB- she saw the orthopedic guy yesterday, everyone saw the break and they put her in a cast for 3 weeks- which is good. the break is her fibula, so I was thinking "leg" but it was at her ankle. you know that bone that projects from the outside of your ankle? her break was about an inch above that. so the cast is smaller than the splint she had on since friday and I can see her being able to do a lot of stuff (short of playing) when she changes over to the boot in 3 weeks.

Bleacher Bum

Avid student of the game
Aug 29, 2013
NorCal
Thanks, BB- she saw the orthopedic guy yesterday, everyone saw the break and they put her in a cast for 3 weeks- which is good. the break is her fibula, so I was thinking "leg" but it was at her ankle. you know that bone that projects from the outside of your ankle? her break was about an inch above that. so the cast is smaller than the splint she had on since friday and I can see her being able to do a lot of stuff (short of playing) when she changes over to the boot in 3 weeks.

Good news (well, better than it could have been). Only 3 weeks in a cast is good news. And yes, you can do a lot of things in a walking boot (spent 5-6 weeks in one after an ankle injury).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles