Blocking/Obstruction/Interference rules - ASA ? (Sorry - couldn't find it)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
Can somebody get me a snapshot of the ASA rules on anything involving the conflict of a baserunner and a fielder wanting to occupy the same space??

I can't find it anywhere and this last year was such a high-hit year in this area and saw all kinds of ump conclusions (but since I didn't know any better I just stayed quiet on the topic - imagine that :)

Thanks in advance.

Jun 22, 2008
You would be looking at 2 different rules, obstruction and interference.

In a nutshell and without typing all of the rules, on obstruction a defensive player not in posession of the ball and not in the act of fielding a batted ball may not hinder an offensive runner.

On interference, the offense may not interfere with the defenses ability to field a batted ball, or intentionally interfere with a throw.

Obstruction is in rule 8-5, interference is 7-6, 8-6 and 8-7. If a fielder and runner are trying to occupy the same spot and the fielder is neither in posession of the ball or fielding a batted ball you would have obstruction. If the fielder is fielding a batted ball, the offense must give them room to field the ball or it would be interference.

Dec 7, 2011
Awesome - thanks for that wrap-up.

So one case question :

Runner coming into home.
Ball coming into home from right field.
Right fielder threw the ball to the catcher about 5-10 feet "up-line" towards 3rd base.
Can I assume that:
1. If the catcher touches the ball before catcher-contact is made with the runner coming in from third that this is NOT Obstruction?
BUT
2. If the catcher & runner make contact with each other before the catcher makes contact with the ball that this IS Obstruction?

Thanks again!

Jun 22, 2008
Contact is never necessary for there to be obstruction. If a runner is forced to alter their course in any way by the defense who does not have posession of the ball or fielding a batted ball it is obstruction. In your #1 above, this could very easily still be obstruction even if the catcher caught the ball prior to any contact. If the catcher is moving up the line to catch an errant throw with a runner coming down the line and the runner has to alter course prior to the catcher having the ball, it would still be obstruction.

Dec 7, 2011
Contact is never necessary for there to be obstruction. If a runner is forced to alter their course in any way by the defense who does not have posession of the ball or fielding a batted ball it is obstruction. In your #1 above, this could very easily still be obstruction even if the catcher caught the ball prior to any contact. If the catcher is moving up the line to catch an errant throw with a runner coming down the line and the runner has to alter course prior to the catcher having the ball, it would still be obstruction.

So the only "legal play" for the catcher in my example is to adjust their position to be comfortably left or right of the incoming batter so they have to try and swipe the batter going by??? Basically a defender can not be in the base path.... Really????

There was soooooo much obstruction that was not being called in the NCAA playoffs and throughout the summer then. I remember in one game that tall short stop for Tennessee doing all kinds of 2nd base blocking with her body.

This blows my mind..... But then again, crow-hopping is now legal too.......

Jun 22, 2010
The NCAA rule is quite different; you asked about ASA. NCAA still has the "about to receive" language in their rules.

Jun 22, 2008
So the only "legal play" for the catcher in my example is to adjust their position to be comfortably left or right of the incoming batter so they have to try and swipe the batter going by??? Basically a defender can not be in the base path.... Really????

There was soooooo much obstruction that was not being called in the NCAA playoffs and throughout the summer then. I remember in one game that tall short stop for Tennessee doing all kinds of 2nd base blocking with her body.

This blows my mind..... But then again, crow-hopping is now legal too.......

Defense can be where ever they want, they just cant hinder the offense unless they have the ball or are in the act of fielding a batted ball. If they have the ball they can be anywhere they like and as has already been posted the NCAA rule is completely different.

Jul 10, 2013
I can tell you what the rule is for ASA but the umps do not follow it. In ASA the fielder must allow 25% access to any base, There fore no fielder is truly suppose to block the base. The play at the plate, The catcher can not set up blocking home plate before the ball is thrown.
1)If the catcher is in the process of going to get the ball and the runner and catcher hit each other than there is suppose to be NO CALL (incidental contact) Both players have the right to that spot.
2)If the catcher is stationery waiting for the throw then she who have to allow the 25% access to the pate.
3) If the catcher has the ball then she can stand where ever she wants

Jan 24, 2011
I can tell you what the rule is for ASA but the umps do not follow it. In ASA the fielder must allow 25% access to any base, There fore no fielder is truly suppose to block the base. The play at the plate, The catcher can not set up blocking home plate before the ball is thrown.
1)If the catcher is in the process of going to get the ball and the runner and catcher hit each other than there is suppose to be NO CALL (incidental contact) Both players have the right to that spot.
2)If the catcher is stationery waiting for the throw then she who have to allow the 25% access to the pate.
3) If the catcher has the ball then she can stand where ever she wants

Could you please tell me where I can find this in the ASA rulebook?

Jul 10, 2013
From the ASA rule book.

A fielder who impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running the bases unless the fielder is:

1: In possession of the ball.
2: In the act of fielding a batted ball.

ASA rule book rule#8

The problem with this rule is it is left to the umps for there determination, that is why you see so many different calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00