Becoming a better hitter for Varsity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
I remember your post as well. The coach had a purpose for the previous team and wanted like minded individuals on the team. It’s reality that it’s very very difficult for a team to do well if part of the team is busting their butts to play in college and part of them would rather be at the movies with their boyfriends. It seems like your grand daughter was on the wrong team for her. There are plenty of other travel teams out there that can help her prepare that have other unsure kids like her on them or she could guest for teams. Everyone needs pitching. Bottom line she needs live at bats to be a better hitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2019
I remember your post as well. The coach had a purpose for the previous team and wanted like minded individuals on the team. It’s reality that it’s very very difficult for a team to do well if part of the team is busting their butts to play in college and part of them would rather be at the movies with their boyfriends. It seems like your grand daughter was on the wrong team for her. There are plenty of other travel teams out there that can help her prepare that have other unsure kids like her on them or she could guest for teams. Everyone needs pitching. Bottom line she needs live at bats to be a better hitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate your response but there’s a wide gap between not being sure if you are good enough to play in college and wanting to party all the time. Nothing like having a black or white view on life. 🙄

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Appreciate your response but there’s a wide gap between not being sure if you are good enough to play in college and wanting to party all the time. Nothing like having a black or white view on life. 🙄
Nonetheless of the very common example there is still the discussion of preparation and having a plan.
Yes there are softball players that have outside interests other than softball like dating movies and partying. They still plan that around their softball.

Btw nobody knows if they're good enough to play in college until they try!!!
Or varsity for that matter!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Yeah, you don't get to be a starter without putting in the effort. In any sport or endeavor. Year-round playing, lessons and even work with a sports psychologist. From what I have read from the OP, GD needs all three no doubt. Good luck and good night.

Yeah, we’re not expecting that she’ll play this year although the coach has put her other freshman in, in blowouts which the team has had a few in their favor. Anyway, we’re just wanting to get her ready for next year so she can be a starter. She’s CF, speedy so, that works in her favor a bit too. Thanks.

I'm guessing, practically all. Some sophomores were on her Fall team last year and are continuing on with it for Summer. She decided not to go out for the team at the end of Fall. She wanted a break and some of that, I think, was the coaching. She played basketball in Winter and her success with it made her want to play softball again. But, she's somewhat adamant about not playing TB. We're definitely worried that it could affect her skills. Oddly, the Varsity coach has an 18u Travel team in the same organization that my granddaughter was playing for in 16u. I was hoping she could entice her to play again. We'll see. My granddaughter responds when she thinks she's valued. It helps her self confidence and if she doesn't feel she can succeed, or someone else doesn't think she can, she won't do it. This season has been a blessing because it has helped her in that regard and made her excited for softball again.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I wish she would decide to play again. The reality is, it stopped being fun for her and for the family. It was grueling. Anyway, we have the equipment she needs to practice her hitting and hopefully can have her do a couple of college camps as well. She's got too much potential to fritter it away but at the end of the day, we can't force her. It's like walking on egg shells around her to even mention TB.
Re-read some of this thread to consider the situation further. Thank you @Jeannie for bringing this discussion to dfp not only for your granddaughter and your family but for other readers that can sort through these type of things.

While the one coach from her travel ball team had the college goal for his team. Which may have made it a little too intense for her. *ON THAT TEAM...that was just an observational guess as to what the pressure came from. And college was the stem of it. But that is not the coaches fault that is simply a conversation of college.

This above post @Jeannie wrote seems to have a little more going on in it.
Apparently she has equipment to work on her own so that kind of suggest something.
1. How much time does she use the equipment she has on her own?
2. She has talent.~ How much compared to her old travel ball team she was on...
* because obviously the coach
*wanted to include her
*if she wanted to have the college goal.
3. Fun or not. ~ Why not fun?
4. Egg shell emotions.

This potentially could be stemming from her having some anxiety about growing up? From having to make bigger decisions like leaving the nest at home and going to college?
That in itself can be pressure.

Not pressure applied because of a sport she has already been doing.
Plus she does other sports also,
doesn't seem like she's afraid of being athletic.

Think I would have a conversation towards why it's not fun and take the conversation from there.
It simply could be that either the competitive level Rose above her competitiveness and abilities?
Or
The fact that there is something Beyond softball that is creating pressure?

Maybe take softball out of the conversation and see how she feels and reacts to the conversation of college?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
If she really loved playing ball she would ask to play on another TB team. She is old enough to realize that there are other teams out there that won't give the same experience and even if she wasn't I am sure her parents/grandparents have probably mentioned it. She probably likes it but doesn't love it, which is fine. That said it is going to be hard to take 2/3 of the year off from playing games and be able to compete for a starting varsity job unless the team is really bad or she is really,really talented.

Dec 19, 2021
Back to the OP's original topic...

What is at her/your disposal as far as resources to help the situation?

-Access to batting cage?
-Access, $ for coaching?
-Tee, net, etc?
-A pitcher that wants to throw live BP?
-I like the TCB74s pitched underhand and HARD from a short distance (and a beater bat) for backyard workouts.

The tee, soft toss, front toss, heavy balls etc are all good, but without instruction and correction, the reps are just reps. They can help with coordination of bringing the bat to the ball, but if the mechanics aren't right, they just become more ingrained. Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

Nothing replaces the game situations as far as experience and timing. Real improvement requires both game time and lessons/practice sessions.

Oct 3, 2019
Her mother brought up the TB question again to her yesterday. At this point, just happy that she didn't snap off her mother's head. Baby steps...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi