Batter stand your ground

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Gimme a break, this isn't the NPF. I'm watching Tenessee-SC right now and a college batter did the exact same thing (same situation, runners on 1st+3rd), it's instinct to look to your base coach and you don't want to be in the box while not paying attention.

Really, its instinct? I've never seen that twice in a game. I've never seen that twice in a tournament from one team. If a team does that repeatedly, its coached.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Whether the hit in the back was intentional or not may be debatable, but I think the catcher was immediately throwing to 3 regardless...like a called throwdown play. The catcher stood and threw almost immediately. It looks like she was already in her throwing motion before the batter fully left the box, imo. She also went over to the girl to see if she was all right. Not sure she would have done that had it been a purposeful throw.

For the batter, either stay in the box or get out of the way. You're asking for trouble walking straight up the 3B line. We've had umps tell the girls they need to keep at least one foot in the box between pitches (unless there is a play at the plate during the AB).

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You've never seen a RHH step out of the box after a pitch with a runner on 3rd twice in a tournament? You're either blind or a liar.

Shay Knighten does it right away in this clip.
https://youtu.be/BSoAcuR1_14?t=8m40s
Sticking to the actual topic of the thread. I've never ever seen a batters move into a throw twice. And I have never seen anyone move in the manner that girl did into the throwing lane. And yes Shay does it right, she steps back with an eye on the catcher and does not get in the way of a throw.

And for the record, the name calling is not required here. Just state your case and make your point without it.

Jun 22, 2008
One foot inn the box is a USA softball rule and has nothing to do with being called for interference. When a play is being made on a steal or pick off attempt the batter needs to hold their position in the box. If they hold their position they are protected by rule, if they move around in the box or step out and hinder the throw or the catcher they are guilty of interference.

Aug 5, 2015
Sticking to the actual topic of the thread. I've never ever seen a batters move into a throw twice. And I have never seen anyone move in the manner that girl did into the throwing lane. And yes Shay does it right, she steps back with an eye on the catcher and does not get in the way of a throw.

And for the record, the name calling is not required here. Just state your case and make your point without it.
Strawman arguments aren't required either. Clearly no logic is going to change your mind so there's no point in continuing.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Had a batter walk in front of our catcher after a called third strike and interfere with a throwdown to second. Plate ump refused to call interference because our catcher help up her throw instead of chucking and either hitting the batter or risk hitting her hand on the batters helmet. No throw or contact, no call for interference is what I was told. I thought you just had to interfere?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
She also went over to the girl to see if she was all right. Not sure she would have done that had it been a purposeful throw.

This is like a Rorschach test.

You see a catcher who checks on the batter, and you see that as a sign that it likely was not done on purpose.

I see a catcher who was not startled in the least by the outcome of her throw. IMO, the expected reaction to that play would be OMG! even if you're within your legal rights.

That suggests to me that she's been coached to throw though batters who are in the way and knew the likely result when she threw it.

I also don't see a great deal of concern on the part of the catcher, also the sign of someone who's been taught that this is the way the game is played. Batter's fault. I just do as I'm told.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Edit: I've since asked 3 people who know softball, and all say it's likely accidental. So there.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
One foot inn the box is a USA softball rule and has nothing to do with being called for interference. When a play is being made on a steal or pick off attempt the batter needs to hold their position in the box. If they hold their position they are protected by rule, if they move around in the box or step out and hinder the throw or the catcher they are guilty of interference.

That's more or less what I was telling my U18 batter when the umpire told me I was instructing her incorrectly and that if she stays in the box and he feels that it interferes with the catchers throw, he will call the base runner out.
I'm not saying he is right or wrong- I'm saying we are subject to how the umpires call the game, right or wrong. Therefore, I would recommend my batter understand her options before she gets up to bat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles