Another 3rd strike drop question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2012
Had a high school game today and had a play that I think the official made two bad calls on. The first bad call was he didn't see the ball hit the ground before calling the player out for 3rd strike. I can accept this call as it was easy to miss.

The opposing coach then appeals the play, the two officials meet and then he comes out reverses the out and put the batter on first which I believe is the second bad call.

I don't know what our high school coach said but I believe 1. the play is not appealable and 2. the officials reversal takes away our option to throw the ball and get her out at first.

Any thoughts?

I think if reversal is an option then he should bring her back to home plate say go and see if she can beat the throw or erase the strike and bring her back to the plate to face the pitcher again with the 2 strikes.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Had a high school game today and had a play that I think the official made two bad calls on. The first bad call was he didn't see the ball hit the ground before calling the player out for 3rd strike. I can accept this call as it was easy to miss.

The opposing coach then appeals the play, the two officials meet and then he comes out reverses the out and put the batter on first which I believe is the second bad call.

I don't know what our high school coach said but I believe 1. the play is not appealable and 2. the officials reversal takes away our option to throw the ball and get her out at first.

Any thoughts?

I think if reversal is an option then he should bring her back to home plate say go and see if she can beat the throw or erase the strike and bring her back to the plate to face the pitcher again with the 2 strikes.

Cannot render an opinion with only half a story told.

How was the third strike called? Umpires do not, or at least are not supposed to, call the batter "out" unless they begin to advance toward 1B when that option is not available.

What happened with the ball? Did the catcher field it cleanly or did it roll away? Did the defense make any attempt to retire the BR or just return the ball to the circle?

Did the BR give any indication she was attempting to advance to 1B prior to being called "out"?

Jun 22, 2010
Those are not options under any rule set I know of.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Did the batter run to first or return to the dugout? If she ran to first the appeal is OK and she can stay on 1st. If she went to the dugout she is out by rule. At least that is my understanding.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
How I am picturing this in my head is that the ball hits the ground and umpire still calls the batter out on strikes. Batter still on the field of play but not running to 1st, maybe heading back to the dugout. 3rd base coach appeals the call, umpire accepts the appeal then calls timeout to discuss with base umpire. Since time is called I think the batter can run to the concession stand to get a drink if she wanted to, weather they go into the dugout doesn’t matter because time is called. Also if the umpire admits they made a mistake, I am not sure the batter going into the dugout has any bearing. The batter running to 1st doesn;t matter because the defense might have reacted to the "incorrect" call.

Home Plate umpire agrees they made a mistake and tries to remedy it.

It does sound like the remedy was pretty harsh, from what was described the batter should have been out.

(I always show my ignorance when I post in the rules section)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Even if they appeal it, I don't see how the ump could possibly award first. Are they assuming a catcher who picked a ball in the dirt cleanly (presumably if she hadn't the home plate ump would have seen the dropped 3rd) and thought it was strike 3 when the ump ruled the batter out couldn't have taged the runner or made a simple throw to 1st? Awarding the batter 1st in this case makes less than zero sense to me.

Feb 21, 2012
The batter did not try to run to first, she simply headed to the dugout but never went in. Umpire called the batter out prior to the catcher being able to do anything with the ball. She didn't throw to first as the umpire had called her out and there were runners on base.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The batter did not try to run to first, she simply headed to the dugout but never went in. Umpire called the batter out prior to the catcher being able to do anything with the ball. She didn't throw to first as the umpire had called her out and there were runners on base.

Okay, that leads to more questions.

Where were the runners prior to the pitch?

Where did the ball go?

Feb 21, 2012
Runners must have been on second and third. Ball just bounced out of catchers glove low to the ground that she immediately recovered. Umpire called the batter out so ball was returned to pitcher.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Runners must have been on second and third. Ball just bounced out of catchers glove low to the ground that she immediately recovered. Umpire called the batter out so ball was returned to pitcher.

You sound unsure, but let's go with 2nd & 3rd. That and all other parameters of the play being as stated, I agree that the call seemed to be wrong.

As stated, don't know why the PU would call the batter "out", that is not a standard mechanic. The umpire DOES have the authority to correct any situation where the offense or defense could be placed at a disadvantage due to t a delayed or reversed call. However, that authority extends to the point of negating the effect of that action. That means the umpire should have made any awards based on the likely outcome had there not been a delay or reversal. In this case, that seems to be that the play (batter out) would stand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut