Ackward situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
Here is one for you. We were at a college showcase sitting in the bleachers when we heard a D1 college coach talking to another coach and said " yeah there is no talent around my area the girls really stink. " We were socked that a coach would say such a thing. Any way a couple of innings later this D1 coach turned to the group I was with and asked is this your team and where are you from ? We naturally replied with " this team of no talent girls are from your back yard. If you could of saw the look on her face.
There are 3 local girls on this team right now, and last year they gave a free ride to a pitcher from our area who in returned dropped out of school because she could not handle the pressure.
Just to make matters worst now this coach just became the head coach at our local D2 school.
Needless to say I guess we are crossing that school off the list.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
James is on target. In the big picture, the coaches are speaking off the record and
may be friends as well. College coaches are people too! Don't read a lot into it, don't
say any off-the-cuff remarks that can come back and haunt you in the future. We never know
who is watching/listening. If the college in question has a great academic fit for local players,
I would never blacklist the school if they were going to offer my DD a free ride, it might be right in
her or a team mate wheelhouse for education. Until I have heard the entire context of a conversation,
it is just here say.

BTW-Awkward not Ackward

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
On the other hand you have to consider that he might be talking to a coach from another school, what do you think he is going to say. Lots of great players by me, you should come and poach a couple of them from me. Especially the 3 on this team right here that I am looking at.

Jun 22, 2010
Just a thought - maybe the other coach was from elsewhere, and Coach A wanted to convince Coach B that there were no good players in the area so that Coach A could have the cream of the crop himself?

Edit: Dang, Chinamigarden, you type faster than me.

Mar 11, 2009
Maybe she said it to see which nosy parents were trying to listen in on their conversation too!

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
What D1 coach just starts talking to random parents behind the backstop to find out team info? I've met some chatty NAIA's, but never D1.

We always had one trust-worthy parent, whose DD was already committed, authorized to speak with college coaches during a game, answer questions, pass on requests and hand out information. If I heard about sarcasm to a coach I wouldn't have minded watching you pack up and leave for good.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Here is one for you. We were at a college showcase sitting in the bleachers when we heard a D1 college coach talking to another coach and said " yeah there is no talent around my area the girls really stink. " We were socked that a coach would say such a thing. Any way a couple of innings later this D1 coach turned to the group I was with and asked is this your team and where are you from ? We naturally replied with " this team of no talent girls are from your back yard. If you could of saw the look on her face.
There are 3 local girls on this team right now, and last year they gave a free ride to a pitcher from our area who in returned dropped out of school because she could not handle the pressure.
Just to make matters worst now this coach just became the head coach at our local D2 school.
Needless to say I guess we are crossing that school off the list.

I am always amazed at how easily offended people are....this seems so minor...not worth crossing a college of the list....if my skin was this thin I would spend all day accumulating grievances from this board alone...take it easy, no one is perfect.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00