A dream coming to fruition: Southern Illinois Fastpitch Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Several years ago I began to speak with other coaches around our area about what they thought about forming a travel league in our area. Yes, there were already a few leagues, but many of which charged exorbitant fees and expected each team to travel to their town to play all league games. But what I envisioned was a league where everyone got to play home games as well as travel to other towns. To my chagrin I found little interest.
As the years began to roll by the large organizations began to lose their luster and more and more independent teams began playing. I also found myself coaching and managing one of these upstart teams. Longing for something different than the traditional travel schedule I began to fill our schedule not only with tournaments but also with double headers and round robins with other teams from our area. I created a great mix of travel games as well as home games.
While it was awesome for extended family members to finally be able to watch our girls play as well as the $ saved by not having to travel or pay high tournament costs there was something missing. Yes our girls were growing and the games were great for fun and development there was no real purpose and meaning behind the games.
Earlier this year I spoke with another coach about my idea for a league and he shared that he had the same idea. I never spoke to the coach again for months and had even forgotten who the guy was.
A couple weeks back I received a text from this coach and asked if I was still interested in forming a league. Unlike myself who had gotten frustrated with the lack of interest and given up this coach had been talking with other coaches. Where his approach differed from mine was that he approached other independent teams, which were more prevelant in his area, instead of the large organizations which dominate ours.
Yesterday, we met in Breese, IL with 8 other team reps and Illinois Heartland Fastpitch Softball(sry changed name to avoid confusion with another league with a similar name)was born! We currently have 10 team interested and hope to 2 more will join. Our league season will open in April with a tournament here in West Frankfort, IL and end in July with a championship tournament in Albers, IL.
All teams involved still want to maintain a travel tournament schedule so we will all be required to play about 12 league games, 8 in your division and 4 cross division. It's each coaches responsibility to schedule their own games and home teams are responsible to provide 2 carded umps. There will be no league fee but each team is required to make a deposit on the season ending tournament to help ensure no one drops out midseason.
We are also planning to hold an allstar game with a team from each division. And have even kicked around the idea of an all league team.
I am very excited that this dream is finally coming true and we are trying to lay the ground work for future expansion.
We are not trying to compete with ASA or PGF or anything like that. But rather to see local athletes given the opportunity to showcase their talents in front of home fans rather than miles away where no one knows them. I know that the next year is going to involve lots of hours and work as well as many obstacle to overcome. But I think that in the end it will be well worth it.
We are also very open to any suggestions others might have as we want to see this league grow and provide athletes opportunities for years to come.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
This is terrific! You are providing athletes a venue to learn, develop, grow and most importantly have fun! Great job and best of luck....

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Sounds like you may be onto something or just going back to something that worked for many years. Good luck.

Sep 7, 2014
Wow. This sounds really great. Just curious what age groups will this include? My daughter is 10U and plays for a travel team in the area. We live in Murphysboro. Is there a website or facebook page yet? Good luck with everything.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
We will only be featuring 12u teams this year. the league is split with 02/03 teams so if things go well we split into 12u and 14u age groups next year. It won't be much help for you this year but it's our hope that we can expand to cover whatever age groups we have the teams for.
We do have a facebook page now and a page on league lineup

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414