Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: For Auburn softball, joy on the surface obscured darker truths within

  1. #21
    JAD
    JAD is offline
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball JAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,237
    Thanks
    4,818
    Thanked 7,170 Times in 3,176 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OsDad View Post
    I wonder where all of this would fall in terms of coercion, which I believe in some places at least, falls under sexual assault. It obviously isn't in Auburn (or no one thinks it would hold up). I wonder, if playing D1 softball were as valuable as D1 football (in terms of what a top level talent has to lose/gain), if it someone wouldn't be trying to pursue that angle more aggressively.
    The player who filed the Title IX complaint was disgruntled over playing time, Corey had not made any advances towards her, and to be honest she was NEVER going to see the field. Those allegations were dismissed, but if one of the players who did have an affair with Corey was to file a lawsuit I bet Auburn would write a YUGE ($1 to POTUS) check to make it go away!
    "I do not fear the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" ~Bruce Lee

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAD For This Useful Post:

    MNDad (06-06-2018), OsDad (06-06-2018)

  3. #22
    Checking out the clubhouse GoGamecocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 75 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The player who filed the Title IX complaint was disgruntled over playing time, Corey had not made any advances towards her, and to be honest she was NEVER going to see the field. Those allegations were dismissed, but if one of the players who did have an affair with Corey was to file a lawsuit I bet Auburn would write a YUGE ($1 to POTUS) check to make it go away!
    Right - I'm surprised we haven;t seen Gloria Allred on t.v. yet.

  4. #23
    Certified softball maniac MNDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,544
    Thanks
    1,850
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 718 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The player who filed the Title IX complaint was disgruntled over playing time, Corey had not made any advances towards her, and to be honest she was NEVER going to see the field. Those allegations were dismissed, but if one of the players who did have an affair with Corey was to file a lawsuit I bet Auburn would write a YUGE ($1 to POTUS) check to make it go away!
    Do you know if she ever filed with the Dept of Education or if it was just the University? I always wondered why we only heard about Auburn's internal investigation clearing themselves. Well of course they did. Their job is to protect the university.
    Relax and enjoy the ride

  5. #24
    Checking out the clubhouse GoGamecocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 75 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNDad View Post
    Do you know if she ever filed with the Dept of Education or if it was just the University? I always wondered why we only heard about Auburn's internal investigation clearing themselves. Well of course they did. Their job is to protect the university.
    I don't know the answer to this, but as an attorney I can offer some useful speculation. I suspect that all Title IX complaints get looked at by the feds whether they're "cleared" by the University or not to prevent the school sweeping things under the rug.

    I also very much suspect that any Title IX investigation is kept confidential until its over to protect both the victims and the accused -- presumption of innocence and all that....

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to GoGamecocks For This Useful Post:

    MNDad (06-06-2018)

  7. #25
    Certified softball maniac MNDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,544
    Thanks
    1,850
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 718 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoGamecocks View Post
    I don't know the answer to this, but as an attorney I can offer some useful speculation. I suspect that all Title IX complaints get looked at by the feds whether they're "cleared" by the University or not to prevent the school sweeping things under the rug.

    I also very much suspect that any Title IX investigation is kept confidential until its over to protect both the victims and the accused -- presumption of innocence and all that....
    If the DOE wouldn't comment Nemeth, or anyone else that may fave filed a complaint would be free to do so. I haven't heard if If she filed an actual lawsuit. That could be a reason for not saying anything I suppose. I just found it odd that the story appears to have ended with Auburn clearing itself.
    Relax and enjoy the ride

  8. #26
    Checking out the clubhouse GoGamecocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 75 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNDad View Post
    I haven't heard if If she filed an actual lawsuit. That could be a reason for not saying anything I suppose. I just found it odd that the story appears to have ended with Auburn clearing itself.
    Law suits are public records. I can promise you if she filed a law suit, the reporter for the article would've heard about it. It is entirely possible, however, that there was a quiet settlement with a confidentiality provision. That would explain why the "unnamed victim" wasn't identified in the article.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoGamecocks For This Useful Post:

    Classof2020 (06-06-2018), MNDad (06-06-2018)

  10. #27
    Checking out the clubhouse bombermom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    I was surprised at how bad this article made Kasey Cooper look. My daughter idolized her and seeing as she was the main person to ostracize that girl made me think twice about my DD wanting to be like her. Granted we don’t know all the inside details but still couldn’t understand why she would act like that.

  11. #28
    I can talk softball all day BuckeyeBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    253
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked 111 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    This story and so many more are really scary but I am glad more and more are starting to come out. Things like this are swept under the rug so often, especially in the past. Take it for what it is worth but I know someone who is close to a situation where a girl got raped by a big name football player. She told her parents and the families went to the university police. The girl was then threatened by other players and even the coach personally, and the police never did anything about the case. They made the girl look like a slut and druggy to discredit her, she is neither of those things. I have another friend that witnessed a basketball player in college rape a girl along with 2 other players, in the late 80s. Again the University shut her up and threatened her family, the player went on to have a long NBA career. I live in Michigan so we are quite familiar with the transgressions of the Michigan State people. This is obviously hearsay but I have been told by someone that works at the University (not high level) that the public will probably never know how deep their coverups are for more than just Larry Nassar. These stories need to come to light so there is more awareness.

  12. #29
    JAD
    JAD is offline
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball JAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,237
    Thanks
    4,818
    Thanked 7,170 Times in 3,176 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bombermom View Post
    I was surprised at how bad this article made Kasey Cooper look. My daughter idolized her and seeing as she was the main person to ostracize that girl made me think twice about my DD wanting to be like her. Granted we don’t know all the inside details but still couldn’t understand why she would act like that.
    I think they viewed her as engaging in the affair to garner preferential treatment. How would someone "sleeping with the boss" be treated in the workplace?
    "I do not fear the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" ~Bruce Lee

  13. #30
    Certified softball maniac marriard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,200
    Thanked 2,959 Times in 1,275 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBW View Post
    This story and so many more are really scary but I am glad more and more are starting to come out. Things like this are swept under the rug so often, especially in the past. Take it for what it is worth but I know someone who is close to a situation where a girl got raped by a big name football player. She told her parents and the families went to the university police. The girl was then threatened by other players and even the coach personally, and the police never did anything about the case. They made the girl look like a slut and druggy to discredit her, she is neither of those things. I have another friend that witnessed a basketball player in college rape a girl along with 2 other players, in the late 80s. Again the University shut her up and threatened her family, the player went on to have a long NBA career. I live in Michigan so we are quite familiar with the transgressions of the Michigan State people. This is obviously hearsay but I have been told by someone that works at the University (not high level) that the public will probably never know how deep their coverups are for more than just Larry Nassar. These stories need to come to light so there is more awareness.
    The evolution of the internet, communications and national sports media who don't need to be on the 'good side' for access over local media who needed access has changed the dynamic a lot.

    Colleges were able to cover up all sorts of things in the past because the local press would not print it and it was a closed system so you could count on the local cops, boosters and university officials to keep it 'in house' for much the same reason and 'protecting the school'.

    Now camera phones, sources, searchable databases, national interest and national reporting and whatever and it is out there either immediately or it it will come out eventually. 'Eventually' makes things worse because you are under the delusion that you are 'safe' or that no one will ever find out. It is not much different to how people the perception that major crimes are on the rise - they are not - it is just that now things are reported nationally rather than just locally and crimes you would never have heard of become known. Everyone can report online and you just never know what will go viral and get caught up in a national scandal.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "60 feet, turn left"

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to marriard For This Useful Post:

    BuckeyeBW (06-07-2018)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •