For Auburn softball, joy on the surface obscured darker truths within

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I wonder where all of this would fall in terms of coercion, which I believe in some places at least, falls under sexual assault. It obviously isn't in Auburn (or no one thinks it would hold up). I wonder, if playing D1 softball were as valuable as D1 football (in terms of what a top level talent has to lose/gain), if it someone wouldn't be trying to pursue that angle more aggressively.

The player who filed the Title IX complaint was disgruntled over playing time, Corey had not made any advances towards her, and to be honest she was NEVER going to see the field. Those allegations were dismissed, but if one of the players who did have an affair with Corey was to file a lawsuit I bet Auburn would write a YUGE ($1 to POTUS) check to make it go away!

Jul 29, 2016
The player who filed the Title IX complaint was disgruntled over playing time, Corey had not made any advances towards her, and to be honest she was NEVER going to see the field. Those allegations were dismissed, but if one of the players who did have an affair with Corey was to file a lawsuit I bet Auburn would write a YUGE ($1 to POTUS) check to make it go away!

Right - I'm surprised we haven;t seen Gloria Allred on t.v. yet.

Nov 18, 2013

Do you know if she ever filed with the Dept of Education or if it was just the University? I always wondered why we only heard about Auburn's internal investigation clearing themselves. Well of course they did. Their job is to protect the university.

Jul 29, 2016
Do you know if she ever filed with the Dept of Education or if it was just the University? I always wondered why we only heard about Auburn's internal investigation clearing themselves. Well of course they did. Their job is to protect the university.

I don't know the answer to this, but as an attorney I can offer some useful speculation. I suspect that all Title IX complaints get looked at by the feds whether they're "cleared" by the University or not to prevent the school sweeping things under the rug.

I also very much suspect that any Title IX investigation is kept confidential until its over to protect both the victims and the accused -- presumption of innocence and all that....

Nov 18, 2013
I don't know the answer to this, but as an attorney I can offer some useful speculation. I suspect that all Title IX complaints get looked at by the feds whether they're "cleared" by the University or not to prevent the school sweeping things under the rug.

I also very much suspect that any Title IX investigation is kept confidential until its over to protect both the victims and the accused -- presumption of innocence and all that....

If the DOE wouldn't comment Nemeth, or anyone else that may fave filed a complaint would be free to do so. I haven't heard if If she filed an actual lawsuit. That could be a reason for not saying anything I suppose. I just found it odd that the story appears to have ended with Auburn clearing itself.

Jul 29, 2016
I haven't heard if If she filed an actual lawsuit. That could be a reason for not saying anything I suppose. I just found it odd that the story appears to have ended with Auburn clearing itself.

Law suits are public records. I can promise you if she filed a law suit, the reporter for the article would've heard about it. It is entirely possible, however, that there was a quiet settlement with a confidentiality provision. That would explain why the "unnamed victim" wasn't identified in the article.

Aug 20, 2016
I was surprised at how bad this article made Kasey Cooper look. My daughter idolized her and seeing as she was the main person to ostracize that girl made me think twice about my DD wanting to be like her. Granted we don’t know all the inside details but still couldn’t understand why she would act like that.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
This story and so many more are really scary but I am glad more and more are starting to come out. Things like this are swept under the rug so often, especially in the past. Take it for what it is worth but I know someone who is close to a situation where a girl got raped by a big name football player. She told her parents and the families went to the university police. The girl was then threatened by other players and even the coach personally, and the police never did anything about the case. They made the girl look like a slut and druggy to discredit her, she is neither of those things. I have another friend that witnessed a basketball player in college rape a girl along with 2 other players, in the late 80s. Again the University shut her up and threatened her family, the player went on to have a long NBA career. I live in Michigan so we are quite familiar with the transgressions of the Michigan State people. This is obviously hearsay but I have been told by someone that works at the University (not high level) that the public will probably never know how deep their coverups are for more than just Larry Nassar. These stories need to come to light so there is more awareness.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I was surprised at how bad this article made Kasey Cooper look. My daughter idolized her and seeing as she was the main person to ostracize that girl made me think twice about my DD wanting to be like her. Granted we don’t know all the inside details but still couldn’t understand why she would act like that.

I think they viewed her as engaging in the affair to garner preferential treatment. How would someone "sleeping with the boss" be treated in the workplace?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This story and so many more are really scary but I am glad more and more are starting to come out. Things like this are swept under the rug so often, especially in the past. Take it for what it is worth but I know someone who is close to a situation where a girl got raped by a big name football player. She told her parents and the families went to the university police. The girl was then threatened by other players and even the coach personally, and the police never did anything about the case. They made the girl look like a slut and druggy to discredit her, she is neither of those things. I have another friend that witnessed a basketball player in college rape a girl along with 2 other players, in the late 80s. Again the University shut her up and threatened her family, the player went on to have a long NBA career. I live in Michigan so we are quite familiar with the transgressions of the Michigan State people. This is obviously hearsay but I have been told by someone that works at the University (not high level) that the public will probably never know how deep their coverups are for more than just Larry Nassar. These stories need to come to light so there is more awareness.

The evolution of the internet, communications and national sports media who don't need to be on the 'good side' for access over local media who needed access has changed the dynamic a lot.

Colleges were able to cover up all sorts of things in the past because the local press would not print it and it was a closed system so you could count on the local cops, boosters and university officials to keep it 'in house' for much the same reason and 'protecting the school'.

Now camera phones, sources, searchable databases, national interest and national reporting and whatever and it is out there either immediately or it it will come out eventually. 'Eventually' makes things worse because you are under the delusion that you are 'safe' or that no one will ever find out. It is not much different to how people the perception that major crimes are on the rise - they are not - it is just that now things are reported nationally rather than just locally and crimes you would never have heard of become known. Everyone can report online and you just never know what will go viral and get caught up in a national scandal.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28