Young wannabe slapper

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2012
Iowa
Ok, I'm coaching a first year 10u team, and yes I have a daughter playing on the team. She turning 10 in September and is a lefty. She is very interested in slapping. When she watches games either on TV or her sisters playing other teams with slappers, she has to makes sure to point it out to me.

Since this is the first year doing anything above Little League, I have chosen for her (probably a mistake, thats why I am asking) that she needs to take a year and learn how to bat properly, then next year we can learn slapping. I have not yet timed the girls on running to first base, but I would say she has average speed.

We have a girl on the team, who's mom played college ball, and was a right handed batter that switched to a slapper in college, and became very good at it. She is working with her daughter on the side to become a slapper and has said that she would work with my DD if so inclined. So, questions are as follows....

At what age should I be introducing her to slapping instruction?

Am I correct by saying she should be focusing on standard hitting first?

If we do choose to slap, does that become secondary and that work happens on the side like pitching?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Play to your players strengths... just because she's left handed doesn't nescicerally mean she has to slap. You said she's average speed... slappers should be very quick. After all the whole idea is to usually just put the ball in play (5/6 hole) and her speed will put the pressure on the defence.
But I would agree with David in that she should have proper mechanics nailed down before moving on.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
When I switch someone to the left side with the purpose of eventually teaching them to slap, the first year is about getting them comfortable with their swing and bunting.

Then we add a drag bunt, usually second year. (I teach even righties to drag from the right, well because it's FUN).

We add a soft slap the second year of 12U and will be able to begin working on the hard slap when they are comfortable with that.

It kinda depends on the player, on how things progress.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A left handed batter who can slap or hit for power is very difficult to defend. Most right handed batters who convert to slapping cannot hit for power from the left side of the plate. Therefore, if your DD has better than average speed, it would be a good thing for her to learn, and the sooner the better.

to prides point if you really are set on trying it and she has the advantage of already being on the left side teaching her a quick poke bunt and drag bunt would be all you should be doing this year

to james' point if she is average speed she should work on some drills that help develop speed, if she never gets faster she probably won't slap either when she gets older because she won't beat out the throw, watch a high level game slapper beat the throw by a step or less if she is average speed she will not have that step.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would not recommend converting a right handed player with average speed to a slapper, but since your DD is a natural lefty you have nothing to loose. Your DD still needs to practice hitting for power - do not practice slapping exclusively.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
IMHO... I would teach her to bunt first, then chop (the 2 strike go to...protect )....then the swing "the Swing" If she can sac bunt, she can pull the corners...once she does, chop. Now she has been in the game, contributing and hopefully seeing some HR's, and decides SHE wants to put one over the fence.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
As said above, being a natural lefty, you have nothing to loose. A player who can reach into a deeper bag of tricks is always an asset. Show sac bunt, pull back and slap or swing or pull back and then square back up and drag... hard to defend once the d has seen what all she capable of...

Jul 3, 2012
Iowa
Thank you everybody for your input. As many have stated, we are going to focus on batting this year. If she works hard on that and increasing her running speed, we may progress a little towards this fall and see how it goes. Thanks everybody!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad