You make the call.....where was Comp when I needed him???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2013
Wait - but what if runner in the baseline caused the catcher to adjust her throw, then isn't the runner the cause of the airmailed throw as JAD put it ?

No. I got schooled up on this a few weeks back in a thread in the rules forum. (Thanks Comp, BretMan and others!)

I now teach my catchers to set themselves up and throw exactly as if the runner was in the running lane. If the ball doesn't hit the runner, then we make the play & get the out. If it hits the runner because she's where she's not supposed to be, then (assuming quality throw - can't just drill the B/R in the back for a free out) the runner will be (should be) out on the interference. (And that's why she's wearing a helmet)

All in all, better to make the play and not depend on getting the right call after the fact.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If the ball hits the runner in this situation it should be interference on the runner, but any type of errant throw negates where the runner is unless the umpire deems the runner caused the throw to be errant (that's a real tough call to make).

No, that's not something the umpire even has to consider. If the catcher makes a bad throw- for whatever reason- then it's the catcher's fault, not the runner's.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Wait - but what if runner in the baseline caused the catcher to adjust her throw, then isn't the runner the cause of the airmailed throw as JAD put it ?

Adjust the throw by going up? There must be a defender able to receive the throw for there to be a lane violation. Unless the defender has a serious growth spurt at the time the ball is released, that would be a hard call to make or even believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball