Yet another mitt question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2014
My daughter is 11, almost 12. She is using a Munzio GSX92. She has thumb issues from catching really fast pitchers but she uses an evoshield thumb guard. We want to upgrade before the Spring. I don't even know where to start. I don't think our local sporting goods stores have a big selection to sample. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good upgrade for a kid with thumb issues?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Let me qualify this by I have never bought a C’s mitt.

That thread is discussing some very nice and expensive gloves, I am not sure I would spend that much money yet but see the I know nothing about it.

Nov 23, 2014
I'm surprised your DD is still having issues with her thumb, even with the EvoShield.

You might want to keep track of this...http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-catching/21882-new-catchers-mitt-decision.html

No, I'm sorry for the confusion. The Evo shield works great. She unfortunately lost one, and when she caught again without it she re-injured it. It's just a nagging injury. She actually has not been using one in the winter and has been ok. I was just thinking of upgrading her glove. She's been using the same one for about two seasons. Now that the pitchers are getting faster I was wondering if there is a better glove out there for thumb protection. Can't hurt to have more protection

Feb 5, 2013
Pop time,

My daughter, along with MANY on DFP, came up using the Mizuno GXS92. It sounds like your DD is in the same boat mine is (in fact, the thread others have mentioned is one I started).

Catcher's thumb is absolutely a nagging injury. There are some members on here that are much more knowledgeable than I am on the subject, but ... IMHO the following are three keys to catching without pain, in the following order:

1. Proper healing of an already injured thumb
2. Proper technique to prevent re-injuring it
3. Protecting the thumb (using the EvoShield or a specific glove)

Be careful having her go without the EvoShield. It doesn't take much to re-injure it.

To your question, the only glove that I've seen that specifically addresses catcher's thumb is the Mizuno GSX31TG (the TG stands for Thumb Guard). My DD is trying out this glove as we speak. My first impression is that the built in thumb guard will not be as effective as the EvoShield, but I could be wrong.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD also used the GSX92 and it lasted 2 seasons as well. As far as thumb protection and whole hand protection go (padding), you would be hard pressed to touch a Vinci mitt for the price. That being said, my DD has problems "feeling" the ball because it is so good and has resulted in some pop-outs. Due to this, my DD has lost confidence in the mitt. So now, we are on the road to finding something she likes. Recently she had the opportunity to try the Akadema mitt and seemed to like it. We are also lucky enough to have a local gentleman that sells gloves and mitts from his house and retail stands at local tournaments. We will be heading over there this week to look at the Worth Liberty and several other models from various manufacturers. I would highly recommend you read the thread that Eric F. posted the link to and get more options/opinions on other models.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have had catcher's thumb twice and it is a burger to get to heal. Both times were from the same little girl and were flukes. So, throwing hard isn't really the problem. Just the slightest mistake in glove position - and whammo! So, I use a first baseman's mitt (an old SSK. I own 3 of them.) and sometimes put a micro soft sponge between my palm and the glove. But, no glove is going to offer much padding. Yes, I use the thumb protector. That is a must.

By age 12, I would look at Vinci, also. You could re-sell it, easily.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
No, I'm sorry for the confusion. The Evo shield works great. She unfortunately lost one, and when she caught again without it she re-injured it. It's just a nagging injury. She actually has not been using one in the winter and has been ok. I was just thinking of upgrading her glove. She's been using the same one for about two seasons. Now that the pitchers are getting faster I was wondering if there is a better glove out there for thumb protection. Can't hurt to have more protection

A year ago, my DD had her EvoShield fall out of her mitt (Miz GXS101) while warming up our pitcher before the start of the first game of the season. The next pitch was a FB that hit my DD right at the base of the thumb. That bruise put her out of commission behind the plate for a few games. Unless the mitt has serious protection (see below), and EvoShield thumb protector is critical.

For overall thumb and palm protection, Vinci can't be beat. That said, my DD had the same issue YOCOACH and a couple of other have had where the padding is so thick that they can't feel the ball, which can cause other issues. Our Vinci has since been sent off to a (hopefully) happier home.

The Akadema catcher's mitts have very good thumb protection (comparable to Vinci), but the palm padding is more in line with the Miz GXS92, which can be insufficient for some people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole