Wwyd??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
RT, I really appreciate your posts. I'm not looking for an argument. Be careful what lessons the kids are learning. I've got a 16U and a college all-american. We've seen that, been there. It can be hard to stay with it. It can also build character.

I agree with you for the most part. For example, I have seen some 12/13yo pitchers who have been on a half a dozen different teams in the past 2 years, I think it is a mistake to jump around that much. However, in SoCal travel ball, when tryouts are in August and the season lasts until the following July, many teams use Sept - Dec as player development, evaluation and hold secondary tryouts in January to get ready for high season spring/summer. There is a ton of movement among teams in the winter: some fold, some lose key players, some players get injured, some quit softball entirely, some are not happy with the politics of the organization, playing time, daddy ball, etc.

You never really know the culture of the team until you are in it. Here is a perfect example. On DD's 1st year 14U team, we only have two pitchers on a 17 person roster (we were told at tryouts they "only" wanted 16 players max but at the start of the season we had 18 (1 dropped out of the sport). Because of the large roster, the coach doesn't bat the pitchers in tournaments because he has to get some of the other players playing time. However, his excuse was he didn't want the pitchers to get injured, really? DD wants to play Varsity softball next year and maybe college ball but she isn't getting the at-bat reps against live pitching that she needs in order to get better. Batting in friendlies/scrimmages is not the same as batting in tournaments. I paid $400 start-up fee and $150 a month dues plus any travel related costs. I also pay for hitting lessons while my DD doesn't bat in tournaments. So my point is that while its great to tell your DD to honor her commitment to the team through next July, I'm probably going to have to have a heart-to-heart with the HC to see if we can work out a compromise, but I would be a fool not to keep my options open especially when there are a ton of teams looking for pitchers.

Nov 29, 2009
I'm probably going to have to have a heart-to-heart with the HC to see if we can work out a compromise, but I would be a fool not to keep my options open especially when there are a ton of teams looking for pitchers.

Had one of my former pitchers sign on for a team. They asked the coach upfront if the pitchers hit. She was a strong single/double hitter. The coach told them she would hit. After a couple of fall tournaments where she did not hit they talked to the coach about it. He stated he changed his mind and his pitchers will not hit. She was gone and on another team the following week. So even if they tell you she'll hit. They can always change their mind. There are coaches out there who'll say anything to get a pitcher on the team.

Jun 12, 2015
Had one of my former pitchers sign on for a team. They asked the coach upfront if the pitchers hit. She was a strong single/double hitter. The coach told them she would hit. After a couple of fall tournaments where she did not hit they talked to the coach about it. He stated he changed his mind and his pitchers will not hit. She was gone and on another team the following week. So even if they tell you she'll hit. They can always change their mind. There are coaches out there who'll say anything to get a pitcher on the team.
How strange that they don't also consider how to keep a pitcher on the team. Seems very short sighted.

Aug 20, 2013
Playing on the one "loaded" team is usually not the best way for your DD to push herself to improve, unless the team travels long distance to find better competition or plays up an age group.

This team does both. It only plays 12u when it's playing out of state competition. When it plays locally, they play 14u and more than hold their own.

We made the decision to walk away from the distant 14u team. Figured we could get what we were getting from a number of more local teams. We are giving the 03' team a good hard look. If that doesn't work out, we'll be looking for a strong local 02' team.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
This team does both. It only plays 12u when it's playing out of state competition. When it plays locally, they play 14u and more than hold their own.

We made the decision to walk away from the distant 14u team. Figured we could get what we were getting from a number of more local teams. We are giving the 03' team a good hard look. If that doesn't work out, we'll be looking for a strong local 02' team.

Good luck!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are being a little shortsighted. 12U/14U is fun, and the kids have a good time. But, what she will need in a year or two is a good 16U team.

Which organization provides her with a path to a good 16U team?

Nov 29, 2009
How strange that they don't also consider how to keep a pitcher on the team. Seems very short sighted.

Tell me about it. They lost another pitcher and 5 other players shortly after that. They were scrambling for players last year. The coach is not with the program this year.

Aug 20, 2013
You are being a little shortsighted. 12U/14U is fun, and the kids have a good time. But, what she will need in a year or two is a good 16U team.

Which organization provides her with a path to a good 16U team?

The 03' team is with a relatively new but up & coming strong organization. If we go to an 02' team, it will be with a strong organization as well.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"Up and coming" often means "flash in the frying pan."

The real questions are:

1) How many of their players are playing in college?
2) Where are they playing?
3) Who (if anyone) has contacts with college coaches?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish