Wow, that was harder than I expected...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
We have changed teams. We did not change to some #1 game winning team in anyway. Actually the playing level is about the same. We get spanked every game we play.
We are excited about the new team. Played up in a 14u tourney tjis weekend. We scored 2 out of 7 games. It was pathetic but the girls on the new team never stopped trying, never hung their heads and never stopped smiling. It was the most fun we have ever had getting spanked.
And at the same time I feel horrible for leaving the other team. Coaches wife and I became good friends.... I thought so anyway. Haven't heard from her since I said DD was changing. Coach didn't do well with it either. :( DD is playing in tourney with old team this coming weekend as planned. Refuse to leave the team in a bind.
Coach said some not nice things. I did not get into to it with him necause clearly his feelings were hurt.
He did snap out of it and ended with DD being welcome to play with them amytime.
But I'm still so sad about hurting his feelings that my head hurts :(

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
It's a normal human reaction. The nice thing is, it appears the coach is getting over it. My DH, DD and I have made some wonderful friends through softball and I've learned that your friends are your friends, even when the girls no longer play on the same team. You will make time for each other if you're really friends. If not, then you're just acquaintences and you'll say "Hi" at the ballpark and that's it. There are always a couple of idiots that can't get over it and those you'll just ignore.

Dec 28, 2011
It's sometimes a very hard decision to leave a team. The girls and families are often very close, as has always been our situation. Its good not to burn bridges as you never know what the future holds, and I think it is normal to feel bad about leaving and hurting feelings. Sounds like you are a good family to have on team! Best of luck with your new team. Keep us posted.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Not sure the background here but as a coach every team is a year long team (meaning I don't put players name into slots that have not committed 100% after the season). Every coach should know that every year your going to loose girls either by them not wanting to play anymore, going to other teams, or getting cut. Its a fact, and if you get butthurt because a player left your team you need to stop coaching. Every single player that has left my teams still will come up and hug me at Tournaments. I make the time to talk to every one of them I see. There are no hard feelings at all (and some of them are very good players and it was hard to lose them). I love playing against former players. I joke with them, and I get to see their skills now.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
The decision was the easy part. From a coach that screams to a coach that prays. But nobody is perfect. Sure to see post from some that know the background telling me its about time lol.

Should I prepare DD for a lot of bench time in this weekends tourney? Do pissed off coaches do that?

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
If you're a pickp player for your old team and he benches your DD, he doesn't really need you.

Correct. So if he is a good guy and doesn't need her he will tell us right? But if we get up at the a$$ crack of dawn to play and she is on the bench the whole time then not such a hood guy?

Guess I should warn DD it's possible?

2 days now. Haven heard from coaches wife :( we used to talk min 2 times a day. :'(

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
If you're a pickp player for your old team and he benches your DD, he doesn't really need you.

That's what I was thinking. I think it's a little odd to leave a team and then turn around and play for that team as a pickup player. I wouldn't put my DD in that position unless it was absolutely essential. If they alreay have nine players for the tournament, I would gracefully bow out.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
DD was the #1 of 2 pitchers and they have a tourney this weekend. I'm not the kind of person to leave the team in that situation. They only play once in every two months so after this tourney he will have time to find a pitcher.
Teaching DD about commitment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd