Worn out cleats and how lucky we are.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I watched 2 of my students pitch yesterday, in ASA B level. They won the first game, easily. But the 2nd game was interesting. A new pitcher had shown up and she was trying to pitch with her drag foot cleat worn out. Her toes were exposed and a big flap of leather was hanging off her shoe. It had previously been repaired with duct tape. She finished the inning that way and when she came back out, it was taped with white tape.

How lucky most of us are, that even if we have to use a credit card, our kids have cleats, shoes, coats, etc.

I did go over to the dugout to try and give the girl or the coach my business card, but they were in the middle of a game. I waited about 15 minutes and never got anyone's attention. I was so tempted to help this young lady. I am still thinking about her today.

Jun 29, 2013
I've been there. It's inspiring to see a kid giving it all when they don't have the top of the line equipment that the others have, but it is really hard to see some without adequate gear. I never know how to approach the situation.

Aug 20, 2013
Can you go to the standings page of what ever type of tournament it was and try and track the team down. Many of the teams locally have a Face Book page. Best of luck and I love to hear the heart!

GG

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has some molded Ringor cleats with pitching toes that she no longer wears that I would LOVE to donate to someone in need!

Jun 7, 2013
Colorado
I think the sentiment of wanting to help is great, but be careful of jumping to any conclusions. About three quarters of the way through this season, I noticed that the primary pitcher for my DD's team had cleats in much the same shape. The big toe and next toe over on her drag foot were completely exposed (I noticed this while we were all huddled under a tarp during a torrential downpour, because she was drawing pictures in the mud with her exposed toes), and most of the remaining front part of her cleat had duct tape on it. I know her parents, and they could have gotten her a new set of cleats every couple weeks without ever missing the money.

When I remarked on the state of her cleats, she said that she really liked that pair and just didn't want to break in new ones while the season was still in progress :) She spent the last three tournaments just re-taping the toes whenever the last layer of duct tape would wear off.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Because of the area that this particular young lady came from, here in southern AZ., I am pretty certain that she needs help. Maybe not. I will see if I run into her again.

JAD, Both pairs of those would be great. I can pay shipping, if you get a price.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
PM me your address and I will ship them to you. Shipping is on me if you promise to find them a good home!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd