Wiffle Balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
Question for everyone out there. We use the TCB wiffle balls before games for tb and hs and I have seen it both ways. How do you throw your wiffle balls? Do you underhand throw them from a close distance to still give the bottom up movement and, unless you are very good at it, wasted pitches, or do you throw overhand from a knee where you can get it there better but it goes top down instead?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The big ones or the little ones? Little ones, I have to go overhand. Don't sweat it if you are more comfortable throwing overhand. Go for it.

Jun 18, 2010
I sit on a bucket with a catcher's mask about 20-25 feet away and throw overhand (the baseball size ones). I am just not as fast or accurate throwing underhand.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I throw underhand and try to locate pitches where the batters are having problems (usually trying to pull the outside pitch)

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
I stand about 15/20 feet away, wearing a gameface, throwing the little ones underhanded. (2nd year 14U team) I can position the ball where I want it. The biggest issue I have is on a windy day.

Nov 8, 2010
Have you tried the TCB sand balls for the pregame warmup? We started using these last fall and I may never go back. You only need about 20 feet of space and shagging the balls is easy since they don't go very far. It gives our hitters a lot of confidence and helps them get stronger with their swing and square up the barrel on the ball. We can locate them if we want w/o too much effort by throwing underhand. Since we starting using these, I've left the hitting nets and wiffles at home on tournament weekends and I don't miss hauling all that extra stuff around the ball parks!

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
I haven't thrown a regular wiffle ball this season --- and I love it! We use TCB sand balls, regular softballs into a pop-up, and some dense foam balls to hit away if we have some space to warm up. It's definitely helped me do my job better as hitting coach. You can hit a wiffle ball crappy and it still flies like you hit the sweet spot. I think it's also helped the girls see that their swing isn't 'perfect' like they previously thought!! :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad