Why verbal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
I've got a question for some of you who have possibly been down this road. My 14u/8th grader is already being scouted and I hear that players are verbaling earlier and earlier. I don't understand why any potential future player would want to do that. The school does not commit to anything and can drop her at the drop of a hat. All it seems to do in my opinion is limit her options by pulling her off the table early. She does not even know what her potential is at this point. or who will step up. maybe by junior year at the earliest. I must be missing something. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Oh Ya ,Merry Christmas and wishing you all great success in 2014.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
You will find out why when you get tons of letters and contacts. Mine did it a year earlier, just to relax and enjoy her time in high school and travel ball. It was about the right school for her education not softball. Softball was just a way to get her education paid for. Few play four years of softball in college and its the parents that make more of a big deal out of it then the kids.

Mar 26, 2013
OP is correct the school does not commit to anything because a verbal is only with the coach. Coaches are reluctant to renege on a verbal (i.e. without cause) because doing so repeatedly will negatively affect their ability to recruit. Most verbals are canceled due grades or the coach leaving. Coaches that leave to go to another school will try to take some of their recruits with them. The odds of a coaching change increase the earlier a player verbals.

Coaches have different timelines for making verbal commitments. If your target schools' coaches recruit early, you can't afford to wait too long because their money will already be committed to others. If you're targeting high academic schools, you can probably wait because they're more likely to recruit later (i.e. when they can see 2 years of grades and test scores).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Softball recruiting and football recruiting are NOT the same. Football players are recruited until they sign their LOI and it is not uncommon for some players to "flip" right before signing. Flipping is not common in softball, although it does happen on occasion.

Football teams can take up to 25 players (SEC), not to exceed 85 on the roster (NCAA). In softball teams are limited to 12 (D1) and most sign @ 4-5 per class. Once a softball player commits, other schools usually stop recruiting her - they do not have the big recruiting budgets like the football team.

If your DD is a STUD, she can probably wait to verbal since schools would be willing to "make room" for her, but if your DD is an average D1 talent, she runs the risk of other players committing before her, which could leave her out in the cold at her favorite school. Also, most D1 offers will have a time limit, they are not open ended. You either commit in the time frame provided, or the school will probably move on to their next choice.

It may seem crazy, but there are already 2018 players committed. GoldFastpitch.com

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
You will find out why when you get tons of letters and contacts. Mine did it a year earlier, just to relax and enjoy her time in high school and travel ball. It was about the right school for her education not softball. Softball was just a way to get her education paid for. Few play four years of softball in college and its the parents that make more of a big deal out of it then the kids.

I must say, this was an awesome post sir...well said

Mar 28, 2013
This is interesting, why would they be gone, dont they recruit every year? or will they over look her for younger talent because they are not scouting the older girls. I would think on average they would be looking for roughly the same thing every year.

Just a thought, if you wait until her junior year, most of the good scholarships are going to be gone.

Mar 28, 2013
Thanks for the reply,Are saying if you get a 4 year ride and after year two you lose interest in softball and get cut you still get the 4 years?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Thanks for the reply,Are saying if you get a 4 year ride and after year two you lose interest in softball and get cut you still get the 4 years?

99% of athletic scholarships (male and female) are one year commitments and must be renewed every year.

Mar 26, 2013
This is interesting, why would they be gone, dont they recruit every year? or will they over look her for younger talent because they are not scouting the older girls. I would think on average they would be looking for roughly the same thing every year.
They recruit by HS grad class based on projections of what their roster will look like and how much money they have left for that class. If they commit the money for that class when they're frosh and/or soph, there won't be any money - or roster spots - left when your DD is a junior.

You said "maybe by junior year at the earliest." I hope you're including the summer after she is a soph. Working back, the TB team she makes/joins at the start of hear sophomore year is going to be very important for what happens the next summer and fall.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06