Whitney Canion--best pitcher at CWS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Whitney is fantastic. I read that she can rehab starting around 3-6 weeks (actually rehab starts when you wake up from surgery) practice in about three months.
I'm not sure what the recovery time is in softball and it may depend on the severity of the injury but torn ACLs in football and baseball are nearly always season ending injuries with 9 months the general turn around time to return to the field as a player.

I'd be shocked if she returns to the field before next fall as player.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Its not her plant foot, its her left leg and she pushes off rubber with it as she is a lefty pitcher. Also she is listed a RSJR now on the roster...

Thanks for the correction T - you know what they say about assuming something. The best news is that it sounds like she will be able to redshirt and not lose a year of eligibility. The blessing in disguise is that she can probably get a free year of grad school out of the deal if she wants to go in that direction.

Jun 21, 2010
And this is why you don't have pitchers hit. You can't just move another player into the position. She'll be luck if she makes it back for next season after a complete ACL tear.

My DD sprained an ankle on her landing foot running bases at a practice her senior year. She was out for nearly 4 weeks before the ankle felt strong enough to pitch and entire game on it.

I understand the thinking here but respectfully disagree. If a pitcher is one of your better hitters then let her hit. I've never liked the DH rule and think pitchers should be complete ballplayers.

Nov 29, 2009
If the pitcher is one of your best hitters she should pitch. Tripping over first base is not something any coach should be afraid of. She could trip off the mound fielding a bunt.

I understand the thinking here but respectfully disagree. If a pitcher is one of your better hitters then let her hit. I've never liked the DH rule and think pitchers should be complete ballplayers.

People almost always seem to disagree until it happens to one of their pitchers. I've heard it too many times that pitchers are coddled or protected to much. With losing her the team just turned into an also-ran. Was her bar worth it? I'll be the coach is thinking differently right now.

Finch was good hitter and she didn't bat on the Olympic team and they had other great pitchers to move into the circle.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
What a shame. A torn ACL ended my FB playing days 20 years ago. I am sure medical advancement has come a long way since then. After I tore mine, it was never the same. 3 surgeries and 2 years of trying to get back on the field. I hope she is able to play again. Good luck to her in her recovery.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
People almost always seem to disagree until it happens to one of their pitchers. I've heard it too many times that pitchers are coddled or protected to much. With losing her the team just turned into an also-ran. Was her bar worth it? I'll be the coach is thinking differently right now.

Finch was good hitter and she didn't bat on the Olympic team and they had other great pitchers to move into the circle.

Why then did Lisa Fernandez hit?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

I know Whitney Canion redshirted already in 2010 so that may no longer be an option for her this season. If it is not an option then she might as well try and come back this year. I know it is possible to get a second redshirt season but I am not 100% sure of the eligibility requirements.

As for pitchers hitting - how about actually developing a second pitcher and stop overthrowing your #1 for a start so there isn't such a drop off? We talk about it all the time for travel ball teams, rec leagues, etc, but time and time again colleges pitch their #1 twice per weekend and then have her relieve their #2 in the other game. And then pitch her on Wednesday in the mid-week game.

There was a whole bunch of injured juniors and seniors at the CWS last season who were great 3 years ago but had major arm and leg injuries as their college careers winded down. Some college coaches should be ashamed of how they ride their pitchers. I go back to last year with ASU up 14 on Florida with one inning or so to go and Dallas Escobedo was STILL OUT THERE even though she was going to pitch the next day. if your #2 can't protect 14 runs why is she even on the roster?

And wasn't it Canion herself who pitched like 17 innings consecutive innings at the CWS and had to come out AGAIN the next day and pitch. Might have the team wrong here.

If coaches (at all levels) are not going to think about their players health then it will eventually be done for them. Pitching limits WILL be put in.

What was hilarious was at a recent softball coaches conference there was a bunch of college coaches complaining about players coming into college softball injured from having played 'too much' before college. Then they go out and do the same thing - normally much, much worse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd