which position gets more action

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Does anyone have good stats on which position gets more action. 3rd,SS or 2nd.

Well, I thought that looking at the SEC leaders in assists from 2013 would shed some light on it. Not sure that it did, except to show that it's debatable, with SS/3B probably a safe bet ahead of 2B.

Out of the top 14, there were 6 shortstops, 5 third basemen, 2 second baseman and one who played both SS and 2B.

3B Raven Chavanne, UT......... 143
SS Paige Wilson, UG........... 137
3B Stephanie Tofft, UF.................. 133
2B Kelsey tewart, UF................ 126
SS Corrin Genovese, MIZ.............. 124
3B Amber Garza, TAMU................ 113
SS Samie Garcia, SC........... 105
2B Tess Sito, UG.............. 104
SS Emily Carosone, AU......... 102
3B Nikki Sagermann, UK....... 98
3B Tammy Wray, LSU.................. 97
SS Madison Shipman, UT........ 97
2B/SS Christian Stokes, UK...... 97
SS Bianka Bell, LSU.................. 95

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think it partly depends on the pitcher. If you have a burner who moves the ball away from the right handed batters and into the fists of the lefties, I think you will see second getting more action.

May 31, 2012
I agree it depends on pitch locations, speed and batting lineup(more leftys,slappers,righties) So if you have a fireball P put your best infielder at 2b against a team with rh batters. Same pitcher against team with mostly LH batters, stack the left side?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I agree it depends on pitch locations, speed and batting lineup(more leftys,slappers,righties) So if you have a fireball P put your best infielder at 2b against a team with rh batters. Same pitcher against team with mostly LH batters, stack the left side?

I wouldn't move fielders around based on that. In my experience, the more they play one position, the better and more comfortable they get at those positions. The responsibilities at 3B, SS and 2B are very different. Moving them around too much leads to mediocrity.

You also have to consider the skill set of your infielders. You can't just put anybody at third base. She must have a strong/accurate arm. Can't just put anybody at second. She has to have range, and the ability to get to first base quickly on bunts.

And finally, let's say that you have a fast pitcher and expect the most balls to come to second base. Plays that come to the second baseman are not as difficult as those that come to SS and 3B. The throw is easier at 2B. And compared to the third baseman, they don't generally come as hard and you have more time. So if you decide to put your best fielder at second, that means you have lesser fielders at SS and 3B, which are the two most difficult positions on the field. More errors occur at those two spots than any other, IMO. Mainly because the throws are tougher.

So in short, I'd keep my fielders in the positions that fit their skills, not the pitcher's skills.

-

May 31, 2012
There has to be some value in having the kids play multiple positions. We are talking 12u. Current team will have kids play 3 or 4 different positions on Saturday.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
There has to be some value in having the kids play multiple positions. We are talking 12u. Current team will have kids play 3 or 4 different positions on Saturday.

There's value in it, yes. I would want my players to be versatile. I don't want to be in a position where I can't function without my regular shortstop. There also is value in giving players opportunities to play other positions from a developmental standpoint.

But my response was directed at the strategy part of it, as in what would provide the best defense right now, game in, game out. IMO, that usually requires a set infield, where the players become very proficient at their positions. But as you say, it's 12U. Player development is important, too. Also, the girl who gets to play third base 90 percent of the time is going to develop quicker than the one who plays left field 90 percent of the time. Not sure how ''fair'' that is for the girls who play the game. Looking back at 12U, I sometimes wish I'd relied less on a set infield. Might've cost me a game or two, but might've inspired or given confidence to some players who spent most all of their time in the outfield.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So where do you put your best infielder SS, 3b, or 2b.

Probably shortstop. Then third. Then second. But all three are very important at 12U, imo.

But I say 'probably' because they do need different skills. I might have a third baseman who I might consider my most valuable infielder because she's sure-handed and never makes a throwing error, but she might not have the speed/range to play short.

If I have three girls that have the same skills in terms or range, arm, etc., but one is just a little better all-around than the others, I'd probably put her at SS because she's involved in a lot of other key plays besides the ground ball - steals of second, relays, shallow flies/popups. So to steal a basketball expression, you put the ball in your best player's hands more if you put her at SS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd