Where does the SS go on a bunt with a runner on first?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

The SS should cover 2nd and on my travel team, the left fielder covers 3rd, on my school ball team if the 3rd baseman didnt field the bunt they would get back to 3rd, if they did field the bunt, our pitcher would cover third

Feb 4, 2013
I would be hesitant to have my C cover 3b, especially with a real good bunting team in the heat. I'd have my speed girls start pounding it to the 3b side to make the catcher have to run back and forth all day long.

For this to work in means you have to have a runner on first all day and your "speed girls" up at that time. Catcher only covers 3b with a runner on 1st. Our 3b is very good and seldomly allows a bunter on base.

RJY

Mar 13, 2010
Catcher covers 3rd if 3b fields ball, if not 3b peels back to base . We would never use a OF to cover a base and try not to have the pitcher either.

We call this the "wheel" play and it's exactly how to do it. One additional thing though....if the Catcher covers 3rd, have 1st baseman take home 3rd baseman backs up throw to home...keep the pitcher out of it..

Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with have the CF cover 2nd with no runners on...just in case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz