When the catcher doesn't believe in you or trust you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
By definition a "Fast Ball" is a pitch thrown at high velocity. That said, the spin/movement of a FB is defined by the pitcher. I would leave it up to your DD to throw what she deems appropriate. Ultimately if located properly the direction of the spin and the common nomenclature used to describe the pitch is a moot point.

I can't answer this because I don't know (re: movement on FB). Definitely will have her talk to PC about this...it could help her understand.

BTW - she is still a relatively new pitcher (started pitching live her Freshman year even with on/off lessons 2 years prior)...so there is definitely room to grow mentally as a pitcher. However, she has really come a long way in the last 2 years fighting for starting spot last season (and winning 1st team all district pitcher). And let's not forget...they cannot be "ON" all the time. Last night may have been one of those nights...but I wasn't focusing on that...more on the attitude of the catcher towards pitcher. I think that the pitcher needs to have the catcher on her side and vice versa.

Jun 7, 2013
I tell my DDs, who both pitch, that unless the coach is calling the pitches that they are the boss. Last spring a varsity level catcher was calling every pitch on the outside corner for my oldest DD. The problem was the hitters were crowding the plate so it was equivalent to getting a pitch right down the middle of the plate. The results weren't too good.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't think there is a reason not to respond. The point was FASTBALL does not have to equal MEATBALL DOWN THE MIDDLE. Try this drill put a volleyball on a tee middle of plate thigh high, pitcher should be able to hit the ball almost anytime she wants but she should also be able to throw a strike more times than not without knocking the ball off the tee to the zone the pitch is called, after that then come back and tell [MENTION=10413]riseball[/MENTION] you don't want to respond to his BS.

On topic I think PC, catcher and pitcher should have a strategy meeting before game and go over basic...low and away mostly, girls crowding the plate inside black, 6-9 hitters no walks until they prove they can hit on so on. Then adjust the strategy after first time through the line up based on hitters, pitcher and umpires performance. If catcher won't follow plan pitch to the plan anyway.

Did this drill with a HS pitcher that truly thought she was great and blamed her defense for the team's big losses. This drill made the point clear that she didn't have adequate control of one single pitch.

Jun 11, 2013
I always wondered why we don't just have the pitcher call their own pitches if they want. If they can shake off let them throw what they are comfortable with.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I tell my DDs, who both pitch, that unless the coach is calling the pitches that they are the boss. Last spring a varsity level catcher was calling every pitch on the outside corner for my oldest DD. The problem was the hitters were crowding the plate so it was equivalent to getting a pitch right down the middle of the plate. The results weren't too good.

RC, you are basically saying that if a coach isn't calling the pitches that the pitcher is effectively calling the pitches ... which is one of the reasons that coach's often call the pitches.

As for hitters crowding the plate ... that shouldn't be an excuse for getting hammered. A pitcher can always pitch relative to the batter, instead of relative to the plate. Some pitchers lick their chomps when a batter crowds the plate ... makes it easier to throw a strike that will also jam the batter.

Jun 7, 2013
RC, you are basically saying that if a coach isn't calling the pitches that the pitcher is effectively calling the pitches ... which is one of the reasons that coach's often call the pitches.

As for hitters crowding the plate ... that shouldn't be an excuse for getting hammered. A pitcher can always pitch relative to the batter, instead of relative to the plate. Some pitchers lick their chomps when a batter crowds the plate ... makes it easier to throw a strike that will also jam the batter.

I didn't complete the story. My DD being a JV player was afraid to shake off this varsity level catcher. So, instead of pitching it inside, like she knew she should do, she went ahead and did what the catcher wanted with poor results. I talked with her about this and now she knows that she's the boss and shouldn't take bad advice from even a varsity level catcher.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Try this drill put a volleyball on a tee middle of plate thigh high, pitcher should be able to hit the ball almost anytime she wants but she should also be able to throw a strike more times than not without knocking the ball off the tee to the zone the pitch is called, after that then come back and tell [MENTION=10413]riseball[/MENTION] you don't want to respond to his BS.

BTW I will mention this drill to DD. Should be fun to watch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I didn't complete the story. My DD being a JV player was afraid to shake off this varsity level catcher. So, instead of pitching it inside, like she knew she should do, she went ahead and did what the catcher wanted with poor results. I talked with her about this and now she knows that she's the boss and shouldn't take bad advice from even a varsity level catcher.

Thank you. This further emphasizes the point that when a coach hands the job of pitch calling to the 'catcher', that often it is the 'pitcher' that is ultimately performing the pitch calling.

As an fyi, were we are Varsity players are not allowed to play in the JV games. We have Varsity players, Swing players (those that aren't quite ready for full time Varsity and will need playing time at JV), and JV players.

Jun 7, 2013
Thank you. This further emphasizes the point that when a coach hands the job of pitch calling to the 'catcher', that often it is the 'pitcher' that is ultimately performing the pitch calling.

As an fyi, were we are Varsity players are not allowed to play in the JV games. We have Varsity players, Swing players (those that aren't quite ready for full time Varsity and will need playing time at JV), and JV players.

My DDs JV catcher would have been the catcher for the Varsity last year except she had just transferred from another nearby school and couldn't play varsity for eligibility reasons. Knowing this, however, my DD was a bit in awe of her--at first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish