When is a pitched ball complete?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Let's re-think this one. The point of contact when a hitter positioned in the very back of the box drives the outside pitch to the opposite field is behind the plate. Also, most catcher's interference (technically obstruction) occurs when the pitch has already passed the plate.

FWIW - home plate is 17 inches long/deep, not 8.5"

Yes, you're correct. My error for not thinking geometrically, was only considering the 8 1/2" outside corner that we use when calling balls & strikes....it's a 17"x 17" dimension.

Jun 9, 2014
Can't an ump deem a batter to have not swung at a pitch? Similar to a check swing judgement call, or maybe more like along the lines of a practice swing... Where it is obvious that the batter was not swinging at the pitch? I.e. just because you're swinging the bat didn't mean you're swinging at the pitched ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Let me start by saying that I don't believe a batter has the quickness of mind to see a pitch released, realize it was not only a ball, but a "wild pitch" (how and the hell would a batter know the catcher was going to miss the ball so a passed ball cannot be the case) and then have the brain tell the arms to swing the bat.

The batter must be attempting to strike the ball, Simply swinging the bat is, well simply swinging a bat.

While grammar may be questionable, the rule (ASA) reads:

A Strike Shall Be Called By The Umpire: For each legally pitched ball swung at and missed by the batter.

Every interpretation I've ever received states that there must be at least a remote chance that the batter can actually hit the ball for it to be a valid swing.

And think about the batter with the take on, just relaxing and releasing the bat with the top hand and it just allowing the bat to fall and swing down pass the knees. No attempt to hit the ball, but would you expect the umpire to call it a strike simply because that bat move forward?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00