When is a pitched ball complete?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
If a batter has 2 strikes and watches the next pitch go by because she knows it is an obvious ball. But, notices that it will be a passed ball, decides to swing for strike 3 and goes to first. Question is: Can she swing anytime? And when is a pitched ball complete?

Mar 2, 2013
Consider it along the same lines as catcher's obstruction. You can't hit a ball that's in the catcher's mitt, so you can't have catcher's obstruction. You can't hit a ball that's against the backstop, so you can't have a swing.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If you have the skills to assess that a pitch will be a passed ball and swing in time for a D3S, maybe just skip the nonsense and drive the ball into the gap. :)

Mar 13, 2010
If a batter has 2 strikes and watches the next pitch go by because she knows it is an obvious ball. But, notices that it will be a passed ball, decides to swing for strike 3 and goes to first. Question is: Can she swing anytime? And when is a pitched ball complete?
No.
A pitched ball, by rule, is judged to be in or out of the strike zone ball as it passes through or by "that space over any part of home plate...." Home plate is 17" wide x 8 1/2" long...so once the pitch passes the point of the plate the pitch would be complete; as the PU has judged the pitch and called it a ball or a strike.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

No.
A pitched ball, by rule, is judged to be in or out of the strike zone ball as it passes through or by "that space over any part of home plate...." Home plate is 17" wide x 8 1/2" long...so once the pitch passes the point of the plate the pitch would be complete; as the PU has judged the pitch and called it a ball or a strike.

I do not think this answers the question as to how late is too late. At any contest you will typically see one or more players swing when the ball is literally in the catchers glove. Even though by the definition provided the pitch is complete, these are most certainly strikes. So to the question posed by the OP; At what point is the swing too late to be counted?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I do believe once the ump calls ( ball / strike ) is the key. Had this come up once in my youth. That was the explanation for the day, not sure 100% the written rule.

Jun 22, 2008
Im not sure there is a written rule that actually covers when the batter loses the right to swing at a pitched ball. I do recall it coming up at a clinic several years back and if memory serves the generall consensus was once the ball is passed the batter they no longer have the ability to strike at it. And that would only make sense as the batter is only allowed 1 opportunity to hit the ball, so once the ball has gone by them that opportunity is gone.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I still think until the ump makes a call, or is in the process of a call, it's fair game. There are a lot of late swings at 95+ MPH. I'll try to find out from my baseball guru soon as I can. Surely the rules are the same.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
No.

Let's re-think this one. The point of contact when a hitter positioned in the very back of the box drives the outside pitch to the opposite field is behind the plate. Also, most catcher's interference (technically obstruction) occurs when the pitch has already passed the plate.

FWIW - home plate is 17 inches long/deep, not 8.5"

Mar 13, 2010
I do not think this answers the question as to how late is too late. At any contest you will typically see one or more players swing when the ball is literally in the catchers glove. Even though by the definition provided the pitch is complete, these are most certainly strikes. So to the question posed by the OP; At what point is the swing too late to be counted?
When the PU calls the pitch "Ball"....which would be when the pitch has passed over or by HP.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles