What's your DD's Batting stats????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2012
Ok, I need to know if you guys track your DD's hitting stats/ progress through out the year like I do. (or I'm I the only crazy Dad that does this.) I use the app hitters log to track DD's stats. One thing I just started doing is tracking stats by the level of play DD faces. DD finally broke the 500 mark.. (Please excuse this post dad just so proud of all the work DD has put in.)

So if you know your DD's stats lets hear them...

Batting 4th in the line up (last year DD was batting 7th)

position: Catcher

Level of ball DD plays: A TB
AB: 62
H: 31
BA: .500
SLUG: .581
OBP: .551
OPS: 1.131
BB: 7
K: 9
RBI's: 28

BA againist A level Teams: .361 (13 for 36)
BA againist lower level Teams: .620 (18 for 29)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I do not like stats, as long as she hits the ball hard I am happy.

I'm addicted to stats. I've kept my daughter's stats for the past five seasons (and have team stats from those seasons). I think they're very valuable in seeing how she is developing as a player and also what style of hitter that she is. For example, on her current team, she ranks #2-3 in hitting but around #6 in strikeouts and #11 (out of 11) in walks taken. Those things are hard to notice without stats. Though she's hitting well, would she hit better if she were more patient? Is she too much of a free-swinger? I know what Ted Williams would say. If opposing teams scouted her, she wouldn't see many strikes and would struggle unless she adjusted her approach.

I agree w/ you about hitting the ball hard. I've been pleased with some 2-for-10 tournaments and unimpressed by some 6-for-12's.

Apr 23, 2012
Great post Coogansbluff, I agree it's valuable information on how they're developing. One thing I like about the hitters log app it also tracks BA by pitch location, BA by ball and strike count, spray chart can be filtered by outs, base hits, line drives, ground balls and fly balls showing locations of balls batted.

Hit by the pitch- I'm the same way I really don't care about DD's average as long as she is hitting the ball hard but I like to have the information handy so we can work on issues like pitch location and mental side of hitting with different counts/RISP..

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I do not like stats, as long as she hits the ball hard I am happy.

Interesting. Our Head Coach is kinda the same way, and I'm a stat guy. Our highest BA player is hitting way low in the lineup, and he had no clue she is batting .550 Even if the stats are not 100% accurate, they can still give you a snapshot of what is going on. There is no reason why a .550 hitter is batting 8th.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We use stats that are produced by ISCORE. You get things like BA with runners in scoring position and When you got your hit in the count. DD ended up at 495 BA for her last year in high school, but what was more impressive was she had 3 k's in the last 22 games she played. Her BA was higher when runners were on base, which was hard for a leadoff hitter.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Hmmm. I guess I might say that stats, especially at the younger or lower levels, have a certain statistical margin of error. A hard hit ball to a very good shortstop is a routine 6-3, whereas a hard hit ball to an inexperienced shortstop has the runner reaching safely. Did the runner ROE or single? Do you assume you are playing against a certain level, or manage your expectations to the level that you are playing? It's a big judgement call.
That said, though, I'm starting to feel that a 0.400 hitter is a 0.400 hitter. She will have sound mechanics, quick hands, a good eye and strength to hit the ball hard - so in that regard, stats are valuable.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I agree the stats are a great way to guage personal development and where the individuals fit into a teams line up.

But when we start to compare stats over multi programs I find it interesting. There is a girl the paper has been following in the metro area. She plays for an inner city school where softball is the last sport on the list. For regular season she hit over .800, which sounds impressive. But anyone with an ounce of ball smarts knows that team plays ZERO competition, they only play other inner city schools. I believe they went undefeated in seasonal. ( 17-0 )

Of course they won districts and another big write up, think she hit .700 for the district run. Then the story sure changed. Once they moved out of the "safe house" and had to play regionally, they were run ruled 15-0 in three innings, season over. This superstar hitter went 0-fer.

For us ( 35-10 ) and played in multi state HS tournaments with some tough competition, hitting over .300 is considered very good. It's just a different level of play.

People say stats are only as good as the person keeping them, theyre also only as good as the competition you play against.

Apr 23, 2012
http://www.softballclinics.com/pdf/Score-Keeping.pdf

Here is what I use to score games.

Credit a hit
1. when a batter advances safely to any base on a fair ball which settles on the
ground or touches a fence before being touched by a fielder, or which clears a
fence even if touched by a fielder,

2. when a batter advances safely to any base on a fair ball hit with such force (not
enough time to react), or so slowly (more than ordinary effort is necessary to throw
batter out), that more than a routine play is required to put out the batter or runner,
a - do not anticipate that an off-balance throw would have retired a
runner; this is a hit, even if the throw is wild,

b - when a grounder is fielded and no throw is made, credit a base hit
unless no throw is made because of checldng or holding another
runner,
c - if a slow or hard hit ball is deflected and thus eliminates a routine
play for another fielder, credit a base hit,
d - if a play is made on a lead runner unsuccessfully and the batter
would have been safe had the play been made on her, credit a hit
(even on an attempted sac'ifice bunt or slap hit, or running slap),
e - if a runner interferes with a batted ball, but the batter would have
been safe without the interference, credit a hit,
f - if the ball is not touched because of confusion as to whom should
have fielded it, or because a fly ball was misjudged and the fielder
could not recover in time to gain good position, credit a hit,

3. when a batter advances safely to any base on a fair bail which takes an
unnatural bounce (short hop) so it cannot be handled with ordinary effort, or which
bounces off the pitching rubber or a base before being touched by a fielder and at
an angle so that it cannot be handled with ordinary effort,

4. when a batter advances safely to any base on a ball which reaches the outfield
untouched by the infield unless the ball should have b~n handled by the infielder
with ordinary effort (e.g., ball between legs),

5. when a batter advances safely on any fair ball which might even have touched a
fielder but was windblown, lost in the sun or lights, or which falls to the ground
because the fielder slips on either the field or an object on the field (mask, base,
rubber, sprinkler, etc.),

6. on a fair line drive hit to the outfield which drops to the ground, where the
outfielder is attempting the catch on the run, not in a set position; or any fair fly bail
hit to the outfield which drops to the ground, where the outfielder either had to cover a considerable distance or make the catch while running at a high rate of
speed (credit a hit even if the ball is touched),

7. on any fair ball not touched by a fielder that becomes "dead" because of
touching the person or clothing of an umpire,

8. when no one covers the base or a fielder is late in coveting the base (use three
feet as guideline to whether or not she got there), and
9. when a fair batted ball strikes a cap or glove thrown at it.

Do not credit a hit

1. when a batter misses first base and is then called out on an appeal, and

2. when a batter hits safely and a preceeding runner misses the first base she was
advancing to, and is called out by appeal, (this is an appealed force out and batter
is on by a fielder's choice).

The bold is the area where I think scoring becomes judgementel..

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Here is a "funny", strange stat that I cannot figure out. My DD has always been a slightly weaker hitter. This year in HS (although she didn't get many AB's) she ended up .220ish. TB comes around, first 2 Tournaments (10 games) she is hitting .450 with 7 Doubles and a Triple (she missed a HR by 6 inches). She is facing the same girls pitching Varsity, so I don't understand the change. She was hitting a Stealth Clairty, but now a Stealth Speed is there that much difference in these bats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1