Whats the rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2013
Runners on 2nd and 3rd. Batter hits a pop up which is caught. Throw is made from infield to 3b to double up runner but ball sails out of play. ASA rule states runners advance 2 bases on ball out of play but runner at 2nd had not tagged back up. Is runner at 2nd advanced home?

Jun 22, 2008
Overthrows are 2 bases from time of throw. Runners are still responsible for completing their base running requirements and are liable to be put out on appeal if they do not retouch any bases left to soon.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
So if the runner that started on 2nd has to retreat to 2nd to tag, would she then only get 3rd base as she was still heading to 2nd when the throw was made?

Jun 22, 2008
The award is 2 bases from the last base touched at the time of the throw. Runner was already on 2nd at the start of the play, if she was between 2nd and 3rd the award is 2 bases, but the runner must retouch 2nd prior to advancing to home on the award or she is subject to being out on appeal.

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
I was reading the rule book and trying to figure why/when runners are awared 2 bases vs one base. Is there a simple rule to follow so when I go talk to the umpire I don't look like a complete fool???

So if my batter/runner hits a ball to center and rounds first base and the defense tries to throw the ball to 1st to tag her out but the ball goes out of play, she is only awarded 2nd base??? Sounds the same as the OP scenario, is it not? Help me out here!

Jun 22, 2008
Its 1 base on a pitched ball that goes out of play, 2 bases on a thrown ball from the last base touched at the time of the throw. If your runner had rounded 1st prior to the release of the throw, they would be awarded 3rd base on an overthrow. If they had not yet reached 1st base when the throw was released, they would only be awarded 2nd.

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
From what I've seen, it leads me to believe that there are many umpires that don't truely understand or maybe enforce the rule as it should be. Maybe I'll have to plug the umpires about this at the games this weekend. I'm curious to see if I get the right call next time it happens. Good question though!

Dec 16, 2012
One base on overthrow from the infield and two bases on overthrow from the outfield. ( assuming all throws went out of play of course)

Jun 22, 2008
One base on overthrow from the infield and two bases on overthrow from the outfield. ( assuming all throws went out of play of course)

Wrong. A ball thrown out of play is 2 bases from the runners position at the time the ball left the throwers hand. Makes no difference if it was from the infield or the outfield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67