What would the call have been?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
Runner on first base, left handed slapper slap bunts ball between pitcher and third, closer to pitcher side, corners crash and first baseman and batter collide on the baseline probably 15 ft from home. Third baseman fields ball and throws to first, umps call batter out. After an appeal by third base coach, both umpires say they never saw the contact between first baseman and batter. So play stood and batter was out. What would the call have been if they did see it?

but the problem is the umpire has to see it and if someone is not on the ground or they are not embraced in a bear hug or have elbows locked together in a square dance good luck getting the call from an umpire (yes I am ready for the arrows and rocks from MTR and Comp about how they always call it but hey you had the unfortunate pleasure of getting some other ump), how the base umpire does not see this is always a mystery to me but then again your definition of collide and the umpire's might be slightly different. I ahve to admit saw an ump just this weekend call an obstruction girl was thrown out at home but was allowed to stay at third...pretty sure was the right call, I always seem to mix up exactly how bases are awarded after obstruction, it was iffy if she would have been safe at home but she would not have been thrown out by 5 or 6 steps like she was so she gets third seemed fair to me although not sure how exactly correct it was.

Mar 11, 2009
I don't think the first baseman did it on purpose but in hindsight it worked out for the defense. I am with Mr. Carter how one of the two umps didn't see the contact I don't know, but it happens a lot...

May 14, 2013
I don't think the first baseman did it on purpose but in hindsight it worked out for the defense. I am with Mr. Carter how one of the two umps didn't see the contact I don't know, but it happens a lot...

Especially bad, considering that the plate umpire should have been trailing the batter towards first base on that play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi