What the...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2013
Game 3 of pool play this weekend. Our team pulls ahead. Other team is at bat. 2 girls strike out. Opposing coach stops the game and makes his entire team run a lap?

We asked the plate ump for a ruling. Plate ump says "I will not let it go on much longer". He (plate ump) then let's the girl coming up to bat rest a bit before stepping into the box. We were dumb founded
Has anyone seen anything like this?

Mclewson

Dec 7, 2011
Game 3 of pool play this weekend. Our team pulls ahead. Other team is at bat. 2 girls strike out. Opposing coach stops the game and makes his entire team run a lap?

We asked the plate ump for a ruling. Plate ump says "I will not let it go on much longer". He (plate ump) then let's the girl coming up to bat rest a bit before stepping into the box. We were dumb founded

Mclewson

This is a first - If I were ump I would call their forfeit for them.

Did their coach ask ump for "time-out"?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Mclewson

Speaking ASA

Umpire: Coach, you need to get your players in the dugout and a batter in the box, now!
Coach: Nah, we got a team rule.....
Umpire: Don't care, Coach, save it for after the game. You just used half the time I'm allowing you to comply.
Coach: Let us finish up, then we'll get a batter up there.

This is the point where the umpire has an option.

Apply 7.4.K. Call the batter to the box. 10 seconds - strike 1; 10 seconds - strike 2; 10 seconds -strike 3, batter is out. Their pitcher now has 60 seconds to get on the field and take her warm-up pitches. With the batter in the box, indicate "Play". 20 seconds - ball 1; etc.

or apply 5.4.C or D and forfeit the game.

Jul 26, 2010
what MTR said. That's silly. It's one thing to have a kid spend 3 seconds doing some pushups, running laps is silly. I'm guessing you're making this up based on the other thread, but if it really happened, I'm just going to have to guess it was in Canada somewhere.

-W

Mar 13, 2010

We asked the plate ump for a ruling. Plate ump says "I will not let it go on much longer".
Mclewson
ASA 7.4
A STRIKE IS CALLED BY THE UMPIRE

K. If the batter does not take their position in the batters box within 10 seconds after being directed by the umpire.

That's all the PU had to do to put a quick and rule based end to this kind of antic.

Why should this bozo be allowed to disrupt the game not to mention the rhythm of your pitcher who just struck out two batters in row?

Doesn't seem too fair to your team now does it?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Completely absurd. Direct the coach to get his players in the dugout. Direct the coach back to the coach's box or dugout (wherever he came from). Give him about 2 seconds to get his head out of his a$$ and then eject him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan