What possess's an A team to enter a B tournament?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2010
Rant to follow:
This is the second weekend in a row where we face an 'A' team in pool play of a 'B' tournament. What drives a team with college bound girls to want to play B ball? Does the coach have an extraordinarily small set of sexual organs? Is his ego that large that he feels fulfilled to beat a bunch of girls out to have a fun weekend?

I checked out their team website. They have the college signee's individual promo sheets. They have 4 players that received ALL State honors this year. They have already qualified for ASA 'A' Nationals. Can anyone tell me why they are playing 'B' this weekend?

Is it wrong for me to heckle them during the tournament as they win games 10-0, 11-1, etc? I've talked to Tourney Supervisors and they are powerless (enslaved by $$$).

Suggestions?

Mar 13, 2010
istockphoto_3721276-gold-trophy.jpg

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Is it a "B" Tournament or an "Open" Tournament? Are they registered "B"? A true "A" Team would not be allowed to enter into a "B" Tournament.

Dec 8, 2009
Lozza beat me to it, but that's the only reason unless the $ signs clouded the td vision. IMO an a team shouldn't be allowed to compete in a B tourney unless the played up to the next age group!
1999coach

May 14, 2010
NSA 'B' State Tournament. Don't know if anything is in place to stop a team registered A in ASA to keep from playing B in NSA. I'm not a rule stickler. Don't really care. I know what's right.

Make fun of me for being a 'Daddyball' coach all you want. At least I'm not the loser these coaches are.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If it is the NSA "B" State tourney, then the coaches are losers with a capital L-O-S-E-R-S.

There are times (outside of the rarefied air of Southern California) that an A team will end up in a B tournament for reasons outside the control of the coach...tournaments get cancelled, some kids get sick, parents want to play near home, etc. I can't really fault anyone without knowing the whole story.

But, for an "A" team to play in the "B" State Tournament is hard to justify...just some coaches wanting to win a trophy.

Jul 26, 2010
I'm not familiar with NSA rules.

ASA rules for B teams say that they either have to be a league team, meaning only girls from an ASA registered recreation league, or a High School team with players from no more then 5 highschools, and include no players who participate in A programs. There are also rules for "rural B" teams, for communities further away then 25 miles of any ASA registered league.

In my own experience, NSA takes whowever will sign up for their tournaments, but they are really small and relatively unknown out here in California and usually have smaller tournaments with pretty obscure teams.

-W

Apr 13, 2010
Similar thing happened to my daughters team this weekend. Our big League Tournament was this past weekend and was divided up 12A, 12B, and 12C. So, at least all the "A" teams, "B" teams, and "C" teams didn't play each other. But, when we faced one of the B teams they had an 'A' pitcher that was playing down because of politics (one of the better pitchers I've seen in that age group), and then we faced another team that was clearly playing down all year just to win (had an "A" pitcher, catcher, and a couple of other position players).

Just remember. Players and teams that do that are only stunting the development of those kids. You only get better playing better competition.

Lozza has the right answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207