What pitches should my DD throw?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
This is a true story. I coached a team during a tournament this past year. One of the assistants dd's was pitching. She's not too bad for 10, but not very consistant with the strikezone. After she walked 2 runs in on 5 walks with one strikout, I noticed he was holding up fingers in the dugout. I asked what he was doing. He said calling her pitches. She throws 4-5 pitches now. I felt bad afterwards, but my next words were, "Can you give her the signal for a strike?"

Now that there is funny!!! :p

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the advice. I really appreciate the advice on just being her dad, sitting on the bucket, and catching her. Sometimes I have to catch myself and watch my words. I just want to help support her so she can be successful in what she chooses to do. In the future, I will try to narrrow my topics down in scope and ask more specific questions! I have to say over the past year I have watched videos on youtube and read on the topic from time to time, but I have found this site to have the most useful information . I wish I had stumbled on this site a long time ago! I look forward to future discussions.

Jul 28, 2008
She should be throwing a FB. Then once their mechanics are sound and they can hit their spots, introduce the CU. When they have that down, introduce a drop. Realistically, a FB and CU with accuracy is all they need for 12U and most of 14U.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Papa Pump. You have had an introduction by fire here at DFP. And you took it well. I think you will fit in just fine around here. My dd went to a college pitching camp once and the head coach started talking about pitchers who would tell him about the 7-9 pitches that they could throw, he went on to tell us that he only wants his pitchers to throw 3, he has some favorites but as far as he is concerned a good pitcher only has to command 3 pitches and that is all she needs. His pitcher that year was the NCAA division II era leader. She threw a rollover drop, a drop curve and a change up.

Interesting too he told us that since you only have to throw 3 strikes and you get 4 balls you really only have to throw 50% strikes to succeed. Of course what he really meant was don't throw meatballs because you are afraid of balls being called.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Papa Pump. You have had an introduction by fire here at DFP. And you took it well. I think you will fit in just fine around here. My dd went to a college pitching camp once and the head coach started talking about pitchers who would tell him about the 7-9 pitches that they could throw, he went on to tell us that he only wants his pitchers to throw 3, he has some favorites but as far as he is concerned a good pitcher only has to command 3 pitches and that is all she needs. His pitcher that year was the NCAA division II era leader. She threw a rollover drop, a drop curve and a change up.

Interesting too he told us that since you only have to throw 3 strikes and you get 4 balls you really only have to throw 50% strikes to succeed. Of course what he really meant was don't throw meatballs because you are afraid of balls being called.

Thanks Chinamigarden! I'm catching on...I can take the heat! I have learned more in two weeks on here than I have the past 11 months since my DD started. I just hope I don't ask too many questions. If I do...someone please PM me and give me a clue.

Jun 13, 2012
Papa, the change up when throw correctly is a very deceptive pitch that really messes with a /batter-team. The motion, drive facial expression, and release is The exact same as the FB. This is a pitch that devastates a team especially when thrown on any count. Very few girls master this pitch to the point that they feel comfortable enough to throw it on any pitch count. Most who can throw one usually save it for a 0-2,1-2,2-2.

Dec 26, 2009
Don't know that I can add much more to the discussion other than our own experience, which seems to be what most everyone is saying.

FB with proper mechanics, than speed, than spotting, than move on and do it over again with the CU. My DD spent 3 years from 10U to 1st year 14U just doing that. It was a long and difficult time for both of us and also hard for her to be around all the other kids that "had" so many other pitches. My DD actually felt a little embarrassed about that. She was going to 12U and 14U tryouts and saying she just threw FB and CU. Her PC was not going to teach her anything else until her mechanics were correct and these two pitches worked consistently. He said with speed and location on the FB the CU is devastating. He told us his kid started HS with only a FB and CU but went on to Purdue as the starting Pitcher for four years.

Around the beginning of my DD's 4th year she was introduced to the curve. Her PC didn't want to go to the drop after the CU as he wants her to stay back and not lean forward (she is still leans forward some, but not as bad). After about 6 to 9 months she got the curve working consistently (which seems like it will be her best pitch) and he moved on to the drop. He now just started working on the screw. As said earlier, it really seems there is a natural progression and it should not be rushed (remember quality over quantity).

Not sure if this helps, other than just adding another perspective and experience (so far). It may be a little difficult to be around all the kids/parents that claim their kids throw so many pitches, but if you are grounded in the right approach, it will work out better in the end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd