What Makes A Nightmare Sports Parent -- And What Makes A Great One -- Yahoo Sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
[h=1]What Makes A Nightmare Sports Parent -- And What Makes A Great One[/h]
Hundreds of college athletes were asked to think back: "What is your worst memory from playing youth and high school sports?"
Their overwhelming response: "The ride home from games with my parents."
The informal survey lasted three decades, initiated by two former longtime coaches who over time became staunch advocates for the player, for the adolescent, for the child. Bruce E. Brown and Rob Miller of Proactive Coaching LLC are devoted to helping adults avoid becoming a nightmare sports parent, speaking at colleges, high schools and youth leagues to more than a million athletes, coaches and parents in the last 12 years.
Those same college athletes were asked what their parents said that made them feel great, that amplified their joy during and after a ballgame.
Their overwhelming response: "I love to watch you play."

More Here.

Also from the article:

As a sports parent, this is what you don't want to become. This is what you want to avoid:
Overemphasizing sports at the expense of sportsmanship: The best athletes keep their emotions in check and perform at an even keel, win or lose. Parents demonstrative in showing displeasure during a contest are sending the wrong message. Encouragement is crucial -- especially when things aren’t going well on the field.

Having different goals than your child: Brown and Miller suggest jotting down a list of what you want for your child during their sport season. Your son or daughter can do the same. Vastly different lists are a red flag. Kids generally want to have fun, enjoy time with their friends, improve their skills and win. Parents who write down “getting a scholarship” or “making the All-Star team” probably need to adjust their goals. “Athletes say their parents believe their role on the team is larger than what the athlete knows it to be,” Miller says.
Treating your child differently after a loss than a win: Almost all parents love their children the same regardless of the outcome of a game. Yet often their behavior conveys something else. "Many young athletes indicate that conversations with their parents after a game somehow make them feel as if their value as a person was tied to playing time or winning,” Brown says.
Undermining the coach: Young athletes need a single instructional voice during games. That voice has to be the coach. Kids who listen to their parents yelling instruction from the stands or even glancing at their parents for approval from the field are distracted and can't perform at a peak level. Second-guessing the coach on the ride home is just as insidious.
Living your own athletic dream through your child: A sure sign is the parent taking credit when the child has done well. “We worked on that shot for weeks in the driveway,” or “You did it just like I showed you” Another symptom is when the outcome of a game means more to a parent than to the child. If you as a parent are still depressed by a loss when the child is already off playing with friends, remind yourself that it’s not your career and you have zero control over the outcome.

Plus

FIVE SIGNS OF AN IDEAL SPORTS PARENT
Let’s hear it for the parents who do it right. In many respects, Brown and Miller say, it’s easier to be an ideal sports parent than a nightmare. “It takes less effort,” Miller says. “Sit back and enjoy.” Here’s what to do:
Cheer everybody on the team, not just your child: Parents should attend as many games as possible and be supportive, yet allow young athletes to find their own solutions. Don’t feel the need to come to their rescue at every crisis. Continue to make positive comments even when the team is struggling.
Model appropriate behavior: Contrary to the old saying, children do as you do, not as you say. When a parent projects poise, control and confidence, the young athlete is likely to do the same. And when a parent doesn’t dwell on a tough loss, the young athlete will be enormously appreciative.
Know what is suitable to discuss with the coach: The mental and physical treatment of your child is absolutely appropriate. So is seeking advice on ways to help your child improve. And if you are concerned about your child’s behavior in the team setting, bring that up with the coach. Taboo topics: Playing time, team strategy, and discussing team members other than your child.
Know your role: Everyone at a game is either a player, a coach, an official or a spectator. “It’s wise to choose only one of those roles at a time,” Brown says. “Some adults have the false impression that by being in a crowd, they become anonymous. People behaving poorly cannot hide.” Here’s a clue: If your child seems embarrassed by you, clean up your act.
Be a good listener and a great encourager: When your child is ready to talk about a game or has a question about the sport, be all ears. Then provide answers while being mindful of avoiding becoming a nightmare sports parent. Above all, be positive. Be your child's biggest fan. "Good athletes learn better when they seek their own answers," Brown says.
And, of course, don’t be sparing with those magic words: "I love watching you play."

Nov 15, 2011
Great information. I know there are a lot of parent coaches on this forum and probably a lot of great ones but I'll share another prospective about parents who also coach. My DDs travel program did not use parent coaches which I personally loved. We often hired college players from a large local university. I was on the hiring committee and would get permission to go to one of the school's practices to talk with players about the coaching opportunity. I always started by asking: "How many of you had your parent coach your travel team?" Usually about half the roster would raise their hands, so maybe 6-10 college players. My next question was "How many of you are glad your parent coached your team?" and not a single hand stayed up, except one year one young lady kept her hand up.

Not meant to offend anyone, but just an observation on how these college players felt about it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The ride home from games with my parents."

YEP!! Even as a kid I knew the tournaments we played out of state I better give 110%. Cause it would either be a pleasant drive home, or one with the radio off and a lecture about each pitch and play.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
While on some fronts I agree with this I will also say we should be careful what is wished for. This sport is built on Parent Coaches. Like it or not it is a fact of life. Taking stances otherwise make little sense to me from a practical perspective. Without them we would be nowhere....So yes it is problematic at times...however it is still a key part of the game.
BTW, This was a great post about Parents...Not Coaches. :)

Oct 22, 2009
PA
There used to be a day when rarely did a parent ever coach a team

SB, on what planet did you grow up? Do you actually read some of what you write? Growing up in So Cal, I played 6 different sports in youth leagues, played 3 varsity sports in HS, and 2 varsity sports in college. Not until I was in 9th grade did I have a non-parent coach in any of those sports. These are volunteer positions, and it is the rare individual that spends their time coaching youth sports teams where their child is not directly involved. That was true then and remains true now. Many of the college grads (male and female) that I see coming out to coach youth sports either lose interest after a year or two (usually because a career gets in the way or they realize it is not that fun for them), or are doing it as part of some sort of revenue generating activity.

Feb 16, 2012
I just wanted to say that I love this post about the night mare parent because I feel like I've had my moments when I have been frustrated as well .I started coaching about 6 years ago and I've learned a lot over the years and I'm still learning.My daughter played travel ball for about a year and when rec ball sign ups came along she told me she really wanted to play with her friends and she really wanted me to coach her team I really didn't want to one because I don't like dealing with the crazy parents and two because I wanted to just enjoy the game from the stands well need less to say I finally gave in to my daughter and the local league and I took a team I understand that at that rec level the main thing is for the girls to have fun and learn especially at the younger levels and over the years I've had every kind of parent you can think of from the one's who yell and cuss at there kid to the one's who think I'm a baby sitter for 2 hours I'm not going to lie and say that I don't enjoy coaching because I do and I do it not only for my daughter but also for the other girls on the team that want to get better because I like seeing the girls come back every year and saying that they want to be on my team because they had fun and it breaks my heart when a girl goes from being on my team and enjoy the sport one year to being on some one else's team the next and saying they don't want to come back because all some coach did was yell at them and make them run or that there coach was so obsessed with a wining record that they didn't give the girls an opportunity to learn how to really play the game and learn from there mistake's besides it's only rec ball there suppose to make mistake's wear crazy socks say silly cheer's have fun and most of all develop a love for the game

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Great thread and great article. Lots of debate and discussion on topics like this. About the only thing I can say is, parents want whats best for their kids, they don't always go about that right. Communications are key and having a feeling for how your kid will react to said talk.

Parent coaches still have a huge bearing on this sport and another I'm still more familiar with, Hockey, and I'm sure that lots of other youth sports have the same thing. There is a huge time commitment that goes with coaching and well, in this day and age...time is money. Sad as it sounds lots of people need a reason to take on something this big.

I was always taught that right after the play/game is a bad time to have the you have to do better talk but also like anything in life, sports being a microcosom of society, some kids respond differnt. There might be that time that a "lets pick it up" talk might do some good to a 'honey, you did great' talk might be the best medicine.

I heard a story from an olympic athlete who was a success at ever level she played at, her dad coached her until college started at TB. She said there were times she hated riding home with him and on two occasions, he left her at the field and drove home. Sounds harsh? Sure but she also went on to say, "I knew I could do better, do more" She laughed about as she told the story but also stated she wanted to show her father she could play better. To her, it was the motivation she needed and the message was recieved. Not every child will respond to that the same way, but you get the point.

Last edited:

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
But as I read on the forum where I asked about young coaches, many dads don't trust the college players to coach their kids......they seem to think only 'old' people know how to coach. I wish more orgs. "hired" the young players or grads. I think travel coaches should be paid, but they are not around here. That would draw outside people to coach.

I am a paid travel coach and I do not have a daughter on the team...in fact I do not even have a daughter! Also you have to be careful when you have former players coach because being a former player doesn't mean you can coach! All coaches should be assistants first then move up to HC. Just my opoinion

Nov 29, 2009
The parents just think they know better and can't let go of control. I am glad you are paid.

I've been coaching without a daughter on a team for 8 years now. Here is what I found happens.

During the first year of TB the majority of the parents will sit and watch with their mouth shut.

By the end of the 2nd year it never fails one of the parents has an epiphany and suddenly they know more than the coach.

IF they're still around for the 3rd season the "MENSA parent" starts causing trouble. It's usually in the form of backstabbing the coach while whispering in the other parents ears. As the coach you get countless emails asking about things and how their DD is crying after games along with any number of things...

At this point they usually try to start their own team or move to another organization where they can head coach.

This process repeats itself again and again as parents move out of the sport as their kids quit or age out. The majority of them quit. The thing that I really find amazing is it happens in organizations who have no parent coaching at all. The level of entitlement that I see out of some parents is beyond belief.

Had a former player leave and go through 3 TB teams in one season. The next year Daddy coached in an organization and was tossed. Moved to another and last one year and is gone. Each year he moves his DD further from where they live to play because HIS reputation precedes him. Don't know where the DD is this year yet.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I've been coaching without a daughter on a team for 8 years now. Here is what I found happens.

During the first year of TB the majority of the parents will sit and watch with their mouth shut.

By the end of the 2nd year it never fails one of the parents has an epiphany and suddenly they know more than the coach.

IF they're still around for the 3rd season the "MENSA parent" starts causing trouble. It's usually in the form of backstabbing the coach while whispering in the other parents ears. As the coach you get countless emails asking about things and how their DD is crying after games along with any number of things...

At this point they usually try to start their own team or move to another organization where they can head coach.

This process repeats itself again and again as parents move out of the sport as their kids quit or age out. The majority of them quit. The thing that I really find amazing is it happens in organizations who have no parent coaching at all. The level of entitlement that I see out of some parents is beyond belief.
I think I went in the opposite direction. DD's first year of tb I yelled a lot and tried to tell the coach what to do. You know because of my vast experience playing coach pitch when I was a kid and watching a ton of Braves games. In my defense, her coach really was an idiot, but I exasperated the situation. She eventually quit coaching the team and I helped as an asst. As time passed I learned how much I really didn't know about softball, and how much I prefer sitting on the sidelines and cheering. I think reading this forum helped the most. Hearing coaches and other parents share their experiences really challenged me to be a better sports parent. Last night at pitching practice one of the other girls turned to her mom and said, " You see how he's talking to her(mydd). He's nice!" I had to smile to my self. It wasn't to long ago I was charging the dugout to scold dd in between innings. Now I'm the quit one in the stands trying to calm others down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06