What is the official strike zone for a pitched ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
So, the next time an umpire calls a strike on your batter that is up around her throat you arent going to throw a fit? After all, by most rule sets if any portion of the ball passes through the the strike zone it is a strike. And with the top of the zone at the arm pit, go a ball above that and the top of the ball is going to be up around the neck.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
So, the next time an umpire calls a strike on your batter that is up around her throat you arent going to throw a fit? After all, by most rule sets if any portion of the ball passes through the the strike zone it is a strike. And with the top of the zone at the arm pit, go a ball above that and the top of the ball is going to be up around the neck.

No quote or reference for above so I don't know who this was directed towards. I'll assume it was me.
My answer:
Yes, as long as a throat level pitch is a strike for all batters on both teams. This way we know we have to adjust. Inconsistency would have us guessing.

Now for the real answers you were fishing for:
Would I like it? No.
Would I let them know if the throat level pitch was inconsistent? Yes.
Would I respect it providing it was consistent for both teams? Yes
Would it be more accepted if the ump let us know pregame that his zone was the throat to the knees? You betcha!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
After reading this thread I have come up with a cynical question to, "What is the official strike zone
for a pitched ball?"

Does it matter?

Feb 7, 2013
Then again, there are still the idiots (yes, now I am making fun of people) who believe where the ball hits the glove has anything to do with the strike zone.

MTR - then why are all these catchers taught to "frame pitches", fold the catching glove toward the strike zone, etc. if where the ball hits the glove has nothing to do with the strike zone? It's all part of the game to "sell the pitch" to the umpire. A good catcher who moves into the proper receiving position and and "frames the pitch" can help the pitcher get the called strike, you disagree?

Jun 22, 2008
MTR - then why are all these catchers taught to "frame pitches", fold the catching glove toward the strike zone, etc. if where the ball hits the glove has nothing to do with the strike zone? It's all part of the game to "sell the pitch" to the umpire. A good catcher who moves into the proper receiving position and and "frames the pitch" can help the pitcher get the called strike, you disagree?

Umpires certainly aren't the ones teaching or advocating catchers to "frame" pitches. Moving the glove on borderline pitches just told the umpire it wasnt a strike. Somewhere on this board is an article that has been posted regarding framing. I believe it is titled, Framing, Dont Do It or something to that effect.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think there needs to be a distinction between the framing as described by RT versus "Wax On/Wax Off". Proper framing helps sell the pitch and is certainly effective. Where WO/WO looks just plain silly.

Mar 28, 2013
Framing Sounds allot like the rise ball argument to me. on the internet and on paper all kinds of experts talking how it does not work or happen. At the field I see it work over and over. That's all I care about. Stop the theory and WATCH the game.

Feb 7, 2013
Umpires certainly aren't the ones teaching or advocating catchers to "frame" pitches. Moving the glove on borderline pitches just told the umpire it wasnt a strike. Somewhere on this board is an article that has been posted regarding framing. I believe it is titled, Framing, Dont Do It or something to that effect.

The "framing" I am talking is more subtle than moving the glove into the strike zone after catching it, in fact the NECC DVD (which is the gold standard of catching) doesn't like to call it "framing" at all but Coach Weaver and team advocate techniques to help sell the pitch that in my opinion can help get the borderline pitches to be called strikes.

My whole point is that MTR said where the pitch ends up has no bearing on the pitch being called a strike. While factually correct, a human has to use his or her judgement to call the pitch a ball or strike, not the rulebook, so a catcher using good receiving techniques can be invaluable to getting strikes for gray area pitches.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog