What is the official strike zone for a pitched ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If any part of the ball enters the strike zone it is a strike.Depending on rule set, the strike zone is from the armpits to the top of the knee and the width of the plate. And, the black edge to home plate is not part of the strike zone. But, you would have people screaming if any umpire actually called a strike at the armpit.

Every umpire is going to have a slightly different personal judgment of the strike zone.

Not true for NCAA!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Comp, what RT and I would like to know is the official zone for college as written. Also is there any variation as what the umpire's are trained/asked to call?

One ump at a college game said the entire ball had to be below the sternum now? Is that correct?

This is correct! See post #8.

Feb 7, 2013
The definition of the strike zone varies by org/association.

NCAA -
11.3 Balls and Strikes
11.3.1 Strike zone. The zone is the area above home plate between the bottom of
the batter’s sternum and the top of her knees when she assumes her natural
batting stance. The top of the ball must be on or within the horizontal plane,
and either side of the ball must be on or within the vertical plane of the strike
zone to be a strike unless the ball touches the ground before reaching home
plate. (See diagrams at the end of this rule.)

11.3.1.1 The pitch shall be judged to be a strike or a ball as it crosses home
plate, not where it is caught by the catcher.
11.3.1.2 The pitch shall be judged a strike or a ball in relation to the batter’s
natural position as the pitch crosses home plate.

So if I am reading this correctly: a high strike must have the whole ball within the horizontal plane; an inside or outside pitch only has to have one of the sides the ball on or within the strike zone; and since the TOP OF THE BALL has to enter the horizontal plane, the bottom of the strike zone only needs the top of the ball to enter the strike zone.

Am I reading this correctly?

Jul 26, 2010
The NCAA strike zone =/= the NHFS or ASA strike zone in rule, but in practice it usually does.

In reality it's rare to get an umpire to call a strike above the belly button. Make those batters swing.

The pitcher needs to make the batter swing and needs to not rely on the umpire calling balls and strikes.

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So if I am reading this correctly: a high strike must have the whole ball within the horizontal plane; an inside or outside pitch only has to have one of the sides the ball on or within the strike zone; and since the TOP OF THE BALL has to enter the horizontal plane, the bottom of the strike zone only needs the top of the ball to enter the strike zone.

Am I reading this correctly?

Yes, you are correct. In practice though, umpire's strike zones are like fingerprints - no 2 the same! IMHO, of course.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I was told by an umpire that the strike zone for him was 1 softball off the inside part of the plate and 2 off the outside. From under the knees/top of shins to the middle of the sternum.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And here is the NCAA Rule:

11.3.1 Strike zone. The zone is the area above home plate between the bottom of the batter’s sternum and the top of her knees when she assumes her natural batting stance. The top of the ball must be on or within the horizontal plane, and either side of the ball must be on or within the vertical plane of the strike zone to be a strike unless the ball touches the ground before reaching home plate. (See diagrams at the end of this rule.)
11.3.1.1 The pitch shall be judged to be a strike or a ball as it crosses home plate, not where it is caught by the catcher.
11.3.1.2 The pitch shall be judged a strike or a ball in relation to the batter’s natural position as the pitch crosses home plate.

Attachments

• ncaa-diagram.JPG
    ncaa-diagram.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If you could throw a pitch that literately landed on the plate coming (almost) straight down, (think slow-pitch with a 50 ft arch), I assume by your definition would that be a strike?

No, it would not.

There is another rule that says if a pitch strikes the ground before reaching the plate, or touches the plate, then it cannot be a called strike.

May 14, 2010
The NCAA strike zone =/= the NHFS or ASA strike zone in rule, but in practice it usually does.

In reality it's rare to get an umpire to call a strike above the belly button. Make those batters swing.

The pitcher needs to make the batter swing and needs to not rely on the umpire calling balls and strikes.

-W

I see a lot of strikes called above the shoulders.

Of course that's because my players swung up there... :eek:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00