What exactly qualifies a pitcher as 'Elite'?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Agreed about Finch... she is a phenomenon... but I think she gets a lot of the endorsement deals and publicity because she's so pretty.
My definition of elite.... best of the best.

Mar 28, 2013
To Me, good Stats, Mechanics, and speed,control,movement are all necessary tools of a good pitcher but do not make a Elite pitcher. What makes a pitcher Elite is purely mental.My list of the characteristics of an Elite pitcher.
1.an Elite pitcher makes the rest of her Team mates better
2.an Elite pitcher sets the tone for the work ethic and leads by example
3.An Elite pitcher does all she can to help her coaches make her a better Hurler.
4.An elite pitcher takes the time to promote a strong sisterhood.
5.An Elite pitcher works hard to have great relationship with all the officials
6.An Elite pitcher will be the last in line to get the credit for a team success
7.An Elite Pitcher gives of herself to the community in earnest.
8.An elite pitcher makes it her responsibility to promote the game of fastpitch to the next generation.
There are many good pitchers that don't get to elite status because of the special intangibles that cant be taught.they come from the heart and soul of every one of the truly Elite pitchers.They are rare IMHO indeed.

Dec 7, 2011
To Me, good Stats, Mechanics, and speed,control,movement are all necessary tools of a good pitcher but do not make a Elite pitcher. What makes a pitcher Elite is purely mental.My list of the characteristics of an Elite pitcher.
1.an Elite pitcher makes the rest of her Team mates better
2.an Elite pitcher sets the tone for the work ethic and leads by example
3.An Elite pitcher does all she can to help her coaches make her a better Hurler.
4.An elite pitcher takes the time to promote a strong sisterhood.
5.An Elite pitcher works hard to have great relationship with all the officials
6.An Elite pitcher will be the last in line to get the credit for a team success
7.An Elite Pitcher gives of herself to the community in earnest.
8.An elite pitcher makes it her responsibility to promote the game of fastpitch to the next generation.
There are many good pitchers that don't get to elite status because of the special intangibles that cant be taught.they come from the heart and soul of every one of the truly Elite pitchers.They are rare IMHO indeed.

Holy cow - somebody should have gotten a pc for Mother Theresa!

Apr 9, 2012
this thread needs a dose of contention-I'll start. Finch was and is overrated and gets a little "hot chick" boost. She was a very, very good pitcher but she seems to be on a little bit of a pedestal. There, I said it. let the acrimony fly.

Finch is hyped because in order to grow the game needs a posterchild and who better than hot Finch in her red heels. My girls got to hit off her at the CWS. She pitched in red heels and I stared like all the girls.......and dads.

PR-shes very good at it and being it brings girls, families, and sponsors to the game Im OK with her being overhyped.

You could say she is Elite because of what she does for the sport and its growth. Elite=Gamechanger to me regardless of the stats.

Jul 14, 2008
this thread needs a dose of contention-I'll start. Finch was and is overrated and gets a little "hot chick" boost. She was a very, very good pitcher but she seems to be on a little bit of a pedestal. There, I said it. let the acrimony fly.

Squeeze, Jenny Finch threw ALL 9 Games for the Batbusters back in the late 90's to win the 18U Gold National Championship against the VERY BEST travel teams and pitchers in the history travel ball......And went on to win the WCWS........

She was also part of the 2004 and 2008 Olympic teams. Also was NPF co-pitcher of the year in '05.

This qualifies as "Elite" in my book.........

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Elite...but overrated...based on the coverage she got/gets you'd think she was to fastpitch what Jordan was to Basketball and she wasn't. She gets treated like THE best pitcher in the history of the game because she's hot. I'd take Abbot over her in an all time fantasy league...

Jan 6, 2013
An elite pitcher looks at home in the circle. The pitcher knows the situation yet shows no emotion. An elite pitcher looks the same after giving up a grand slam as the pitcher does striking a batter out looking. People can argue about mechanics and speed all day long. The fact is, elite is a state of mind. Elite pitchers love the position and strive to learn and grow as pitchers. An elite pitcher never settles. An elite pitcher keeps going when a teammate makes an error. An elite pitcher can hit but knows the coach might not expect it that game. Most of all, an elite pitcher doesn't admit to being elite because it's a journey, not an accomplishment fully fulfilled.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
OK. So there are a jillion reasons why folks think a particular pitcher should be referred to as being an 'Elite' pitcher. I wouldnt disagree with any of the reasons stated.

However, the use of that term on THIS board is almost always used as an example to follow / copy / emulate when the question is about mechanics. "Watch the elite pitchers and do what they do". Which ones and why? To simply say watch them and do what they do is a huge cop out in my opinion.

Anexplanation MUST be giev so the OP will understand what it is exactly that needs correcting. Point out a particular 'Elite' pitcher as an example, that should benefit the OP. To simply say watch them and do what thery do, is not much help in my opinion.

There are pitchers out there with God awful mechanics, in my opinion, that are lumped into that 'Elite' category. I dont remember her name but one does a deep forward dip at the start of her motions. A very dangerous motion but she has been successful so she is in that 'Elite' category as well.

I wish folks would give an explanation of what is not correct, give an explanation of what to do to correct whatever is wrong, THEN point them to a video of a specific pitcher that IS doing it right.

I think the term 'Elite pitcher' is simply used too haphazardly on this board. It surely SHOULD NOT be used as a general term or classification.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for puttin up with my rants.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors