What do I say......help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
You might have nailed it on the head Sweet Lou. DD is fast, although not as fast as she use to be. She went through a major growth spurt and although it has left her stronger, it did slow her down. She seemed to have made up for it by being more aggressive and relying more on her throwing speed. Do you have any suggestions for channeling that strength into speed. I know my DD, and know that
once she gets over herself she will want to do what she has to do to improve and stay competitive.
It's not that uncommon for players to "outgrow" CF and shift to a corner OF spot, it happens in baseball a lot and the games aren't that different that I think it might be somewhat common in SB as well.

As for suggestions, I'm probably not the best one but if you have a facility in the area that does speed and agility training that would be the place I would start if that's the direction your DD wants to go.

Jul 2, 2013
My DD has a big body. Good speed, natural outfielder.

On average teams, she is a CF. On great teams, she is RF or LF.

Great teams are more fun to play on than average teams. My DD still complains, on a great team, that she should be in CF. I know better. If she is in CF, by definition, the team is not great.

CF has become a smaller, speed burners spot, in the modern evolution of softball.

Good news is the big bodies with speed, and great bats, will have 2 defensive positions to get, and be locked into. Have little or no trouble finding a team to play for either. Just keep the bat going.

Most teams want established big bats, with speed. Will pick my DD over a speed burner with a lesser bat, for one of the corner outfield slots, over a CF.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2013
Tell her that even if she doesn't agree with the coach, be there for her teammates. If she is being slighted as you suspect (or she suspects), remind her that coaches can and do make mistakes and those that do often get so caught up in their own issues they don't realize what they have done. In those situations, the teammates still need her and the teammates didn't do anything but support her. I've had this conversation recently, it is next to impossible to tell your own DD, but remember right now she needs you as her parent and advocate more than anything else. It doesn't have to be confrontational with the coach, but let your DD know she has you in her corner.

Jul 15, 2013
I have since talked with my DD this evening and although she is still hurting over this, she has decided to approach her coach next practice, which to me is a big maturity leap. After all, she is only 14 . I do Not want to be one of "those" parents, and I definitely have not raised her to be one of "those" players. However, I do believe that she has a right to ask.
- She raised some good points, she had a great season this spring and summer. She learned and improved tremendously. She was centerfield the whole season because she worked hard to play that position. This was a magical season for her. So for that reason, I understand why she is upset, but I also know that she is getting ready to walk that fine line of not appearing entitled but needing to understand why she is not allowed to play in the position that she has always played on this team. Sigh- as her mom, I just want to save her from being disappointed. The other part is her understanding that adversity is a huge part of being competitive.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Tell your DD that LF is a lot better than "left bench", and if she wants to be CF she needs to work hard to earn it! We put our fastest outfielder in CF if she gets a good jump on the ball coming off the bat, has a good drop step, and takes good angles to the ball.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have since talked with my DD this evening and although she is still hurting over this, she has decided to approach her coach next practice, which to me is a big maturity leap. After all, she is only 14 . I do Not want to be one of "those" parents, and I definitely have not raised her to be one of "those" players. However, I do believe that she has a right to ask.
- She raised some good points, she had a great season this spring and summer. She learned and improved tremendously. She was centerfield the whole season because she worked hard to play that position. This was a magical season for her. So for that reason, I understand why she is upset, but I also know that she is getting ready to walk that fine line of not appearing entitled but needing to understand why she is not allowed to play in the position that she has always played on this team. Sigh- as her mom, I just want to save her from being disappointed. The other part is her understanding that adversity is a huge part of being competitive.

That is the right answer. She should ask the coach why, if for no other reason to find out what she needs to work on according to the coach. But, if he still chooses her to be in LF, then she needs to accept it and play it the best she can.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors