What do I say......help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2013
DD just started fall practice with her club team. She was required to tryout as were all the girls. She was the only one that chose outfield with center being her favorite position. She made the team. This will be her third year with this organization and looks forward to more outfield action at the 16 level. She has the softball bug and works hard at improving her game.
Anyways, yesterday at practice the new coach tells her she will now be in left field and she is very upset by it. Personally, I only care that she gets to play.....dd on the other hand feels that she has been slighted. What do I say to her? She is playing with the same group of girls as she always had with the exception of a few.She isn't being replaced by a new girl, but with last year's left fielder ( a great player). Would love some advice

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Try to get her to have the mindset of doing what's best for the TEAM. If the HC thinks this is best for the TEAM, then she should respect that decision.

The mindset I'm trying to build with my (much younger) DD is to do your very best at whatever position you're in. Slacking off in a position you don't like doesn't help your case. If you get to play your favorite position, prove that you're better at it than anyone else.

Feb 3, 2011
Just tell her that no one owns any position on a softball team. I'm not in her shoes, but I don't think it should be viewed as a demotion of any sort. If she had been removed from the regular starting lineup, that would be a different story, but even then, encourage her like Eric said to think about what's best for her team. She could be her team's best option in LF.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
She isn't being replaced by a new girl, but with last year's left fielder ( a great player). Would love some advice
Agree with Eric about team but you say last year's left field is a "great player".

That seems to imply she might be better than your DD in the OF. If that is the case, let your DD know she'll have to work harder to win back CF if that is her preferred position. That might be working on arm strength, reading fly balls better, or whatever. But also, she won't win back CF by moping in LF, instead she might find herself on the bench.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Going to be blunt here

Tell her that that she has been playing softball long enough and by now she should now how it works. Maybe coach needed a stronger fielder at LF? Maybe he is putting your dd out of her comfort zone for a bit. See if she can lead the OF from where shes at?

Regardless she is a quality player. Needs to focus on that. In life we are always switching roles within our jobs. She just needs to make the adjustment.She'll be fine.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Teach her to be the best LFer she can be. Have her cover a lot of ground and move on every pitch. Remind her that she is to back up CF, SS, and 3rd. She will be fine.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd also respect that fact that it's OK to feel slighted or hurt by the decision. It's not selfish. It's human. If you sense that she's going to pout and not give her best, then she needs your direction. If she just needs some sympathy and encouragement, then offer that without a lecture. If she's in 16U, I suspect that she understands the right thing to do here. She might just need time to sort it out.

Jul 15, 2013
Thank you everyone. In all honesty when DD got in the car yesterday with those baby blues filled up, I immediately wanted to say, "Who Did THIS!" - I didn't thank goodness. After finding out what had happened, (truthfully) I thought she was having a primadonna moment. DD was third or fourth in the lineup all of last season, never sat the bench, and played more then anybody else on her team. I am not bragging, just thinking that those facts have gone to her head and that this is a learning experience that although challenging (and as her mom it hurts to see) is nonetheless, necessary. Thank you, and as Amy said, she'll be fine. -once she stops feeling sorry for herself

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
DD was third or fourth in the lineup all of last season,

Her bat is going to keep her in the lineup much more than her glove. It may simply be a fact that other girl covers more ground in CF. She should be proud of hitting in the middle of the lineup.

Without reading too much into it, have you considered a speed and agility program? That might be be the difference between LF/CF.

Jul 15, 2013
You might have nailed it on the head Sweet Lou. DD is fast, although not as fast as she use to be. She went through a major growth spurt and although it has left her stronger, it did slow her down. She seemed to have made up for it by being more aggressive and relying more on her throwing speed. Do you have any suggestions for channeling that strength into speed. I know my DD, and know that
once she gets over herself she will want to do what she has to do to improve and stay competitive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors