Weekday Throwing Routines in Tourney Mode

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2013
Im tweaking a throwing schedule to make sure dd stays fresh for the weekend tourneys. Can anyone share some effective routines that helped their pitcher stay effective and injury free? DD is 13.

Bad experiences are good to hear also.

Jun 7, 2013
In order to protect against overthrowing and, yet, keep her sharp, I have my 13 year old pitch 2-3 times during the week for only about 20 minutes to stay sharp. You never know how much she is going to pitch on a weekend so I try to keep her fresh.

Jan 7, 2014
In order to protect against overthrowing and, yet, keep her sharp, I have my 13 year old pitch 2-3 times during the week for only about 20 minutes to stay sharp. You never know how much she is going to pitch on a weekend so I try to keep her fresh.

My daughter is 13 and pretty much do the same thing, 2-3 days per week, 20-30 minutes. No injury issues.

Jun 26, 2010
My daughter is 13 and pretty much do the same thing, 2-3 days per week, 20-30 minutes. No injury issues.

Same here, DD is 13 and we do mostly to remain sharp. We take about 5 minutes each time to work on the next pitch she is learning, which is not game ready.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina

I have been thinking about the same thing lately. Last year I over pitched her and she sat out for 1 1/2 months with a pulled muscle in her upper back. Don't plan on going thru that again!

Looks like everyone is very close on what they do so that makes me think we are on the right track...DD is 13 and we pitch 2-3 times during the week for about 20-30 min each time after warm up. We work moving her drop around...levels, locations, and spin. Then we work on her "focus area" (right now that is her drive mechanics and her CU). Finally we face a few batters and mix pitches keeping count. We may change it a little here or there, but that is the basic formula right now.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Same here. DD is 14. If we have an off weekend, we will have a longer session on Saturday with DDs best friend (another pitcher on our team). After they are loose I will have one of them pitch a simulated inning while the other stands in the box working on her timing. She is not to swing, but she does everything she would to swing except "go". After 15 or so pitches, I have the two switch places. I will continue that until each does 4 or 5 innings.

May 31, 2012
Agree with alot of these guys. If we are playing that weekend we pitch Tues Thurs for about half hr each day. If we aren't playing we will work a 3rd session in. Last yr dd was throwing 3 times a week for at least an hr each practice and playing 3 weekends a mth. It was too much. She got hurt sat out 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2013
Thanks for sharing. Humpty my schedule was closer to yours with an hour session. I will cut it in half so she can stay sharp on tourney weeks.

I was trying to build stamina each week but I don't want to do at the risk of overthrowing.

What are some ideas on safe ways to build stamina? Maybe start a session after being winded?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors