wearing soccer cleats for softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
There is a girl on my TB team who wears soccer cleats because they are lighter, less bulky, and more comfortable. (Also she likes the awesome colors they come in :)

But I've always thought that it's important to get softball-specific cleats. However, I notice that most companies rarely focus on cleats just for softball. Also, I know that my running technique is slightly different in softball cleats than in running shoes, and maybe the soccer cleats would be less cumbersome while running around the bases.

What do you think? Is wearing soccer cleats for softball just plain wrong? Or is it ok to do as long as you're comfortable?

Thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I bought soccer cleats for my DD until she was a sophomore and wanted Ringors. I didn't see any drawbacks to them. She pitched, but was a leaper, so she never wore a pair out.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I don't pitch so I guess I don't have to worry about that! But I do overpronate mildly and I have special insoles in my cleats, so I'm not sure how they would support my foot.

Also, I just worry about people not taking me seriously! Because it's like, "Hey kid, you got shoes for the wrong sport!"

Aug 19, 2011
I recently bought a pair of Ringors for my daughter because her soccer cleats were getting tight and she wanted her next pair to be real softball cleats. But she has yet to wear the Ringors for a game; they're bigger, bulkier, grabbier, and she doesn't yet trust their feel for pitching.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am thinking, that the only way you would have more ankle stability, would be to wear those higher top cleats. My DD pitched, played 1B and CF, without problems.

Some kids can only afford one set of cleats, so soccer cleats work for both sports.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan