water bottle drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
The water bottle drill seems to be the most discussed and highly touted drill from the E-Book. Does anyone mind sharing the written or audio explanation of what you're supposed to do in the drill, not do, try to achieve, goals, etc.

Doe anyone know if the E-Book will be $50 this 15th of April?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The water bottle drill seems to be the most discussed and highly touted drill from the E-Book. Does anyone mind sharing the written or audio explanation of what you're supposed to do in the drill, not do, try to achieve, goals, etc.

Doe anyone know if the E-Book will be $50 this 15th of April?

Unless they changed pricing it is $50 on the 1st and 15th of every month.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Unless they changed pricing it is $50 on the 1st and 15th of every month.

Yeah...that's what I saw too; hoping that is still the case.

Any idea how it works? Do you get a file emailed to you that you download? Or is it set-up where you have lifetime access to a web-site (username & password driven)? Are you able to print out the book so you can sit and read it?

Thanks in advance.

T

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
You down load a PDF which is password protected; they e-mail you a password for the PDF.

The PDF e-book has links embedded in it that take you to the Wasserman website which shows specific video clips with drills, exercises and demonstrations discussed throughout the e-book.

You can print a whole copy to read but it works best from a computer where you can link to the videos.

Sep 15, 2011
Correct arm pattern movements will have the water moving from the top (starting with the cap in the palm of your hand) to the bottom, back to the top and finally back to the bottom of the bottle. If this is happening and you don't feel a difference, then you probably have good mechanics. The idea behind the drill is to feel the correct pattern using the visual and feeling of the water moving.

This really is an awesome drill to re-train the muscles to use the correct pattern. The ball behind drill is also great for getting the feel of full trunk rotation while keeping the ball behind.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Correct arm pattern movements will have the water moving from the top (starting with the cap in the palm of your hand) to the bottom, back to the top and finally back to the bottom of the bottle. If this is happening and you don't feel a difference, then you probably have good mechanics. The idea behind the drill is to feel the correct pattern using the visual and feeling of the water moving.

This really is an awesome drill to re-train the muscles to use the correct pattern. The ball behind drill is also great for getting the feel of full trunk rotation while keeping the ball behind.

After working this at a youth clinic and with my high school team, I've skipped having the water get into the top of the bottle at all. If you do this drill keeping the water in the bottom of the bottle the whole time (centrifugal force keeping it in the bottom as the bottle is pulled up and gets behind the head then into the throwing position in one smooth motion), you can still mirror the throwing mechanics in the e-book videos.

Getting the water into the top of the bottle created a stall in the throwing motion while the water fell into the top which I didn't like, especially with the younger players. Eliminating it didn't effect the mechanics. Try it - it works just fine for my players.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The whole point of the drill is the way the sloshing forces the girls to slow down and feel the motion. It is a self feedback mechanism so the girls can do the drill solo. If they cant feel the change in weight in the bottle and their mechanics are still good then I think they have graduated from this drill. At full speed with the water always at the bottom, how can they feel if they are doing it right?

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
The whole point of the drill is the way the sloshing forces the girls to slow down and feel the motion. It is a self feedback mechanism so the girls can do the drill solo. If they cant feel the change in weight in the bottle and their mechanics are still good then I think they have graduated from this drill. At full speed with the water always at the bottom, how can they feel if they are doing it right?

I hear what you're saying, but you can do this drill in slow motion and keep the water in the bottom of the bottle. I guess I don't understand the need for the feel of the water getting to the top before it goes back down to the bottom in the throw. To me, it changes the wrist angle to something unnatural in a normal throw. It's like you have to point the thumb to the sky (change the natural motion of a throw) before you get the ball behind your head. There's a stall that I think impedes the proper motion of the throw. Maybe just the way I'm feeling it.

I think it's a good drill, even with this variation. What makes sense to the instructor and player and achieves a good throwing motion is what matters.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi