was this proper sportmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
based merely on some vibes I got during games and handshakes with these coaches, wondering what others think about scenario. LL minors team, mostly 8s and 9s. 4 run limit, 8 in last.

scenario 1 - we have a no new inning after two hours rule. slow game, other team had no pitching. they would walk bases loaded, then with bases loaded and 4 ball count, I would pitch, most times resulting in a hit. we are up by about 4 after top of 4th (we are home team), I ask coach if we can play out the inning just for sake of development. Also really want to get my one player who has not put ball in play all year another chance to do so. we do load bases, but score no runs. other coach gave me weird vibe during handshake, possible they might have thought i wanted to run up score. really just want girls to play more. I think she was frustrated, her team had little to no pitching, makes for long season

scenario 2 - playoff game last night, we are up 11-1 in top of 4th, my DD is R1, very nonchalant on several past balls and her leads, I get on her about it from dugout. 3b coach says he called off stealing, since we are up 10. I was not necessarily worried about score (I normally pay little attention to score, knew we were winning, but that is all), just trying to have them aggressive on basepaths. no problem with him calling off stealing though. bottom of fourth, they cannot push a run across to extend the game (mercy rule), and ump says line them up, if he said nothing, I would have continued playing. talking during this bottom of 4th, I realize I made mistake, should have pulled my #1 P, was going to be her last inning anyways (only second time she has thrown 4 all year). I had forgotten about mercy rule, if I had remembered, would have changed P before we took field, but I do not like to pull girls off mound in middle of inning unless really necessary (ie they have checked out mentally, or are simply tired or hurt). have not done so all year. I think other coach (whom I am freidnly with normally) though I kept foot on gas a little too long. really inexperience on my part, first time we mercy ruled a team all year, simply did not enter my mind that game was about to be over. I will say I am also loud during the games, but all positive, telling girls the situation, encouraging, pushing them to play their absolute best, praising all the positives (pitches, at bats, plays, backups, etc.) verbally instructing to move to proper spot, etc, and yes, this game I coached to win (as opposed to pushing my team to play to win), ie I pretty much did not change my defensive lineup all game, except to swap C and 1B when C said her ankle was sore. big change from regular season for me, but it is a playoff, even if in minors with only three teams in division. I think this surprised other coach as well, they beat us twice in regular season, 6-1 and 9-6, but again, my whole way of coaching changed (BTW, in first game she pitched her #1 P entire game, in second, used another P for one inning, then her #1 again rest of way, this girls was best pitcher by far in our division this year).

opinions?

Feb 7, 2013
I have never had a problem with teams playing hard and scoring lots of runs against my teams. It's not about the other team, it's about what MY team is doing (or not doing) and if we can't stop the other team from scoring, it's my fault for not preparing my players and my players fault for not being competitive. Don't blame the other team for your failure.

To the OP, in scenario 2, you need to pay better attention to all facets of the game so you can better manage the game. If you are up big, that's a great opportunity to get some bench players playing time, etc.

May 6, 2015
I was planning on switching around a little if we were still up big in 5th (we were to play 6), I simply forgot all about mercy rule, 1st time I was on winning side of it. and we had no bench, everyone was in field, and we do CBO, I only had 10 girls. was the first time, I did not get all girls into infield at least for one inning. I really like to think of it as my getting lots of girls lots of experience at different positions paying off for the long haul. If I did not get everyone significant playing time at variety of positions, I might never have known that my best option at 2B was youngest and smallest player on the team (not a real strong arm, but accurate, and no fear of ball, so good for getting outs at 1B). and it was an elimination game, winner plays tomorrow night. Going to play exactly the same way, use exact same lineup/BO except for change in pitcher for first two innings, then back to my #1 to hopefully close out the last 4.

Jun 11, 2013
On 1, it depends how you asked her. If you did it in a private conversation and asked if she wanted to keep playing that's fine. If you yelled it across the field it kind of putting her on the spot.

On 2. You and AC need to get on same page. If you were yelling at a kid for not running up 10 against me I would think less of you. You need to know the score.

Sep 29, 2014
Not a big deal on either of these, I would be OK with giving my team an extra inning of defense even if we all know the game is technically over...no big deal but as other poster mentioned discreetly ask coach in case they say no you don't really want anyone else knowing but the two of you, if they say yes you both go to the ump and ask to go ahead and play out the inning.

In playoffs people should not expect anything...granted you could have eased up a bit but the result was not a 20-0 embarrassment just log it away for next time, but once you get into upper levels without run rules I would not consider a 10 run lead safe,especially post season

Jun 12, 2015
I always try to give coaches the benefit of the doubt. My dh was coaching 3b once. He had just started, didn't have much experience and lost track of the score. He kept having the girls steal until the other coach commented on it. It was 18 to 0. He felt absolutely awful and hasn't ever lost track of the score again. I feel like when there's intent you can tell most of the time.

That said, save your mercy, as far as I'm concerned. Our team has been beaten badly, a Lot. I say bring your best, we'll do our best, and maybe next year it'll be a different situation. I don't ever expect a team to go easy. I think my dd would feel insulted if she realized a team were doing that to her team.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
1-I asked for time, and when granted walked out to umpire and asked her to come out as well, so I think fairly discreet. one of the reasons I hate scoreboards at young ages, would rather have them focus on playing the game, than score, are they winning, losing, etc.. with no scoreboard, most kids have no idea who is ahead in the game.

2-I knew score, just completely forgot about mercy rule. first time it came into play this season in one of our games, and first time one of the teams I coached have been on winning side ever. did not realize what the score meant until I questioned DD on why she was not taking 2B (3 past balls in a row), and he told me he had called off stealing (he was coaching 3B as usual), and that game was over if they did not get lead under 10 in bottom of that inning. just trying to be consistent in what we teach the girls, ie aggressive base running. was planning on switching up a bit next inning, and changing P. I hate lopsided games, and even more I hate games cut short, I want the girls to play as many innings as possible. Also, and this was not a factor in how I managed, but in our first game against this team, they beat us 6-1, pitcher was spot on and game was early in year, my girls had seen nothing this fast, but she pitched that girl the entire game, our one run was result of walks and stealing.

AC and I are rarely on same page, he is actually or softball admin, his neice is on my team. knows the game very well, and can teach it to the girls, but we but heads frequently, and he and his neice are not dependable (he also manages a travel team she plays for), she played about one game in excess of minimum to be all star eligible. Also, because he knows a lot of the girls on the other teams from travel and fall ball, when our pitchers are pitching, he is constantly talking up their batters, giving pointers, telling them they are a hitter, etc, ie exactly like I do to my batters. I am all for being positive with other team, ie making certain defense is paying attention, tieing a shoe for any girl who needs it, and wanting everyone to play their best, and I will always praise good plays by the opposition, but this actually I could see getting into our pitchers' heads at times. It seems they felt (as I did ) that he should be talking THEM up. he would do same in reverse for their pitchers when we were batting, ie giving pointers, reminding them of their mechanics, praising a nice pitch, etc.

May 20, 2015
in our house league, we always finish out the last inning, if we run into the time limit, even if the home team is leading.....it is about development, and getting girls at bats, reps in the field, pitching work is more important than the score......our umpires often don't like it, but.....

May 6, 2015
in our house league, we always finish out the last inning, if we run into the time limit, even if the home team is leading.....it is about development, and getting girls at bats, reps in the field, pitching work is more important than the score......our umpires often don't like it, but.....

precisely!

on to tonite's game, finale, division championship game. but without my AC's neice (best hitter, one of my best 2 or 3 fielders, backup catcher), school field trip, of course he had to have her play in our league, rather than the one she should play in by residency, and her school schedule is different from rest of team (90% of players in our division in our league all go to same school). will be interesting.

Jun 11, 2013
1-I asked for time, and when granted walked out to umpire and asked her to come out as well, so I think fairly discreet. one of the reasons I hate scoreboards at young ages, would rather have them focus on playing the game, than score, are they winning, losing, etc.. with no scoreboard, most kids have no idea who is ahead in the game.

2-I knew score, just completely forgot about mercy rule. first time it came into play this season in one of our games, and first time one of the teams I coached have been on winning side ever. did not realize what the score meant until I questioned DD on why she was not taking 2B (3 past balls in a row), and he told me he had called off stealing (he was coaching 3B as usual), and that game was over if they did not get lead under 10 in bottom of that inning. just trying to be consistent in what we teach the girls, ie aggressive base running. was planning on switching up a bit next inning, and changing P. I hate lopsided games, and even more I hate games cut short, I want the girls to play as many innings as possible. Also, and this was not a factor in how I managed, but in our first game against this team, they beat us 6-1, pitcher was spot on and game was early in year, my girls had seen nothing this fast, but she pitched that girl the entire game, our one run was result of walks and stealing.

AC and I are rarely on same page, he is actually or softball admin, his neice is on my team. knows the game very well, and can teach it to the girls, but we but heads frequently, and he and his neice are not dependable (he also manages a travel team she plays for), she played about one game in excess of minimum to be all star eligible. Also, because he knows a lot of the girls on the other teams from travel and fall ball, when our pitchers are pitching, he is constantly talking up their batters, giving pointers, telling them they are a hitter, etc, ie exactly like I do to my batters. I am all for being positive with other team, ie making certain defense is paying attention, tieing a shoe for any girl who needs it, and wanting everyone to play their best, and I will always praise good plays by the opposition, but this actually I could see getting into our pitchers' heads at times. It seems they felt (as I did ) that he should be talking THEM up. he would do same in reverse for their pitchers when we were batting, ie giving pointers, reminding them of their mechanics, praising a nice pitch, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it. I just threw out a couple of things the other coach might be thinking. Some coaches are just not as friendly when they lose as when they win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619