Waiting, Waiting, and Waiting some more....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I am NOT experienced in tryouts at all. DD 3 rarely goes to tryouts. This year she went to 3, and had been offered spots on all 3 teams before tryouts. For the team she chose, she and some other girls were told to leave early. All had been offered spots before tryouts.

Some things I noticed:

1. Different coaches look for different things. For example, some really concentrate on speed. My DDs are fast; they get more offers from those coaches.

2. The girl already on the team has a HUGE advantage. Similarly if the coach is changing organizations. The 3 teams DD had offers: one was her old team. One was a team she had guested for. The one she picked was her old coach in a new organization.

3. Coaches are more likely to pick girls if the coach had seen them play. Last year she got picked up by a team with no tryout. She had pitched a great game against them. That coach keeps a list, and players on the list have a huge advantage.

4. Some coaches don't really know how to run tryouts. Sad but true.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
Another update: Tryout this afternoon, offer given on the spot. My husband took her, so coach also called me and kept me on phone 30 minutes raving about DD; the how coachable she is, can tell how much work she's done since he saw her last (two weeks ago), how the girls already on the team already love her, etc... Asked about playing time and he didn't BS me. Playing time will vary; he won't claim it will be 50/50 b/c each of the two catchers have different strengths/weaknesses and it will depend on what's needed for that particular game/tournament. I think we've found our home.

Really happy to read this update. Maybe we will meet in the 14u world after school ball. ;)

Aug 11, 2016
While an org may have a reputation, each of its teams is a product of that team's coach(ing staff). Choose wisely!

One last clarification on our experience and then I will shut up... I had spent too much time already talking about this organization and I already got the message from previous posts on what to expect...

The email my DD received came directly from the organization's top director. Maybe it was a mass mailer, but that's where it came from. Not the team's coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd