video of 10 year old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I like her a lot. From what I can see, she is doing a number of things correctly. The easiest way people "fix" girls at this age is to teach them how to pitch incorrectly so they'll be great 12U pitchers.

It is hard to tell much from the view. Generally, we need a view directly behind her and a view directly to her side. The important points are when the arm is straight above the head (12 o'clock), straight behind her (3), and at release (6).

First, get her to stop walking after she throws the ball. The idea is to release all of the pitcher's energy from her body through the arm and into the ball. If she is walking after she pitches, she isn't getting a full energy transfer.

Second, get her to stop all that crazy pre-pitch routine she goes through. Stop it now, so you don't have to mess around with it later. Have her put the ball in her mitt, fix her grip with her hand and ball in the mitt, and then start her motion. Fixing the grip on her hip so the whole world can see it is big no-no.

Third, her release is wrong. She needs to "internally rotate" her right hand at release. She is finishing with her fingers up, with her arm in the classic "L" position we all know and hate.

Here is a video of the great Monica Abbott. Go to about 30 seconds and look at HER ARM AND WRIST AT RELEASE. You'll see her wrist turn over. That is what your DD needs to be doing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Amtj3q6dt-0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Amtj3q6dt-0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is the great Sarah Pauly--again, watch her wrist and arm at release.

<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=ratwod.11508&albumname=ratwod.softball" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

If she were my DD and she loved playing softball, I would find the best pitching I could find and invest some money in her. She looks to me like she has great potential. I would also really study Sarah Pauly's form. Your DD looks like she has a similar body to Sarah's.

I wouldn't be too worried about accuracy at her age. She needs to throw a lot of pitches to become really good.

Feb 19, 2009
I also thought she looks good and a lot of potential bosoxfan. Although the video looked a little blurry, I thought she may be locking her elbow a bit (too straight with her pitching arm). Maybe if any of the pitching coaches noticed that too they could elaborate.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hi, my daughter is 10 and throws in the upper 30's and has some control problems. Can anyone offer some advice on what needs to be worked on to increase consistency or any of the flaws you see.
thanks

YouTube - 20091103204102.wmv

She is stronger than she appears but is being held back. She has a strong fast arm but a slow and weak stride. The stride is what is holding her back right now. She is standing tall through the entire pitch.

Send me an e-mail to ceramatech_engineering@yahoo.com .

Until her stride is consistent, nothing else will be either.

We can make the stride consistent, stronger, longer and faster and when we do that, watch how much more speed that arm comes up with to keep up with the rest of her. It will shock you both.

:)

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Wow! There are many on this forum who can offer solid advice as to what to work on but at first glance she looks like she will be very good. Just by this video she has a high motor, high energy, a natural athleticism and her arm circle looks fast to me. Lots of potential. I went back, looked again several more times and what stands out to me is the arm circle is good, she creates spacing in front of her hip by getting her shoulders over her toes without arching/ leaning her back, her release angle of hips and shoulders is really good and although she does walk through the pitch after her finish she still pitches against her front leg pretty well, she doesn't get nose over toes. The walk through to my eye is just her impatience to get the ball back so she can throw it again. ;) The natural fluid motion with which she throws is nice.

Nov 18, 2009
thank you so much for the responses. I will try to get better angle videos and post them. She's been taking lessons for about a year and a half and has always been taught to finish straight up with her arm. I see what you mean by the clips about the rotation.

Her stride needs to be quicker and longer? Is that what you mean?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
thank you so much for the responses. I will try to get better angle videos and post them. She's been taking lessons for about a year and a half and has always been taught to finish straight up with her arm. I see what you mean by the clips about the rotation.

Her stride needs to be quicker and longer? Is that what you mean?

Yes, that is what I mean.

Nov 18, 2009
ok, I read some of the internal rotation thread and understand the throw don't push the ball but I really have no idea to how to communicate this to her so she understands what I'm saying. Any suggestions on how to get this across to a 10 year old?

Jul 21, 2008
One thing to try is play catch with her but use a small FOOTBALL. Grip it normally like you throw the football but have her throw underhand. Stress to her to lead with the elbow and work on throwing a spiral with the nose of the FB up in the air slightly. This will help the pushing the ball down the back side of the circle. If she does not do it correctly the ball will show it.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Dan this girl thing is a hoot- I have worked with DD for a couple hours with the nerf football & she cannot get the hang of underhand internal rotation with that thing to save her soul, - but has somehow got the softball turning over pretty well. for me its the most natural thing in the world to throw an underhand spiral....must just be a girl thing- or maybe a Laney thing...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1