video camera

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2011
Bring this to the top as I'm looking for a camera to conduct Pitching/Hitting analysis. Will need to have good high frame rates and work well both indoors and out. The the shutter speeds will need to be high and the imager will need to have good sensitivity. Hoping to stay around $200, if possible. Needs to be faster than 60 FPS.

Feb 3, 2011
I previously came out in support of the Ion Pro for the budget-conscious person seeking a quality result from a durable piece of equipment.

Unfortunately, subsequent to that post, I've had 3 significant failures that were due to the memory card becoming corrupted (3 different cards, all high quality), something that isn't apparent until after the fact.

During the TC World Series in Reno last week, I'd finally had enough and decided to abandon Project Ion and move to the pricier, but seemingly more reliable GoPro Hero 3+. One major advantage was the ability to connect a USB power source to allow for continuous recording without having to figure out some cryptic sequence of connections and starts/stops which I'd dealt with in using the Ion.

I could go on, but the Go Pro is a HUGE step up in video quality over the Ion, so please disregard all my previous posts on the subject. :)

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I previously came out in support of the Ion Pro for the budget-conscious person seeking a quality result from a durable piece of equipment.

Unfortunately, subsequent to that post, I've had 3 significant failures that were due to the memory card becoming corrupted (3 different cards, all high quality), something that isn't apparent until after the fact.

During the TC World Series in Reno last week, I'd finally had enough and decided to abandon Project Ion and move to the pricier, but seemingly more reliable GoPro Hero 3+. One major advantage was the ability to connect a USB power source to allow for continuous recording without having to figure out some cryptic sequence of connections and starts/stops which I'd dealt with in using the Ion.

I could go on, but the Go Pro is a HUGE step up in video quality over the Ion, so please disregard all my previous posts on the subject. :)

We have been in that same boat with corrupt video, and with a couple different cameras. Unfortunately, I think all of these high bit rate cameras that use small micro SD cards are susceptible to this kind of corruption. We have found the high end SanDisc Extreme Plus cards to be the most reliable. Check out our equipment page for links to the cards we are recommending to customers:
http://www.lynkspyder.com/equipment.html

Jun 9, 2014
The flagship cell phones out now that have a "SlowMo" mode (e.g. Galaxy S5, iPhone 5, HTC, etc) all do an excellent job of quick grab-from-your-pocket-and-shoot for analyzing hitting, pitching, and other mechanics when your able to be right up close. Coupled with software such as Coach's Eye and frame-by-frame analysis it's excellent. You'll have instant feedback available to you. For obvious reasons, they aren't going to record entire games.

GoPro's have excellent quality video at 60fps (and can go as high as 240fps with lesser quality). They have a ton of mounting accessories and an app that allows you to see the output on your phone/tablet, playback clips, control the camera settings, and start & stop recording. You will need that extra power source such as USB battery pack (or as someone else says they use their laptop) to keep it powered up for more than 90 minutes.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Momo and Josh Greer

How are you able to video a short clip from an entire length video?

If it is post game, I use editing software like adobe Premier or even Windows movie maker. During the game, sometimes I shoot with 2 cameras; one that records the entire game, the other I use for just small clips that I "live blog" to Facebook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877